Question about newly lying pullets and egg color

moutainMan

In the Brooder
Jul 28, 2016
So just last week I got my first egg. Since then Iv'e gotten 7 (1 froze). My question is this (pic below): Do these eggs look like they could have been laid from the same pullet? If not, how many pullets does it look like I have laying? There seems to be quite a color and size/shape variation. Thanks for the help!

I'll take a guess, but I'm on my first flock and it's been 2 years since they started laying so a long time since I had pullet eggs.

I think you've got at least 3 or 4. The 3 on the right look to be about the same shade and size so maybe laid by the same bird (or multiples of the same breed?). I figure the real light, pinkish one is laid by somebody else. And the huge one on the left is laid by yet another. That one in the middle doesn't match anyone so it could be a fourth. That being said, you'll see a lot of variety in shape and size of pullet eggs until their system works out the kinks.

I was thinking at least three as well. I mean is it even possible that it is only one bird laying all these within a week span with so much variation?

I was thinking at least three as well. I mean is it even possible that it is only one bird laying all these within a week span with so much variation?
Probably not.
I'd agree, 3 or 4.
One of the far left is probably a double yolker.

Could always examine butts to know for sure.

Signs of onset of lay---I've found the pelvic points to be the most accurate.
Squatting:
If you touch their back they will hunker down on the ground, then shake their tail feathers when they get back up.
Tho not all birds will do this, especially if there's a cockbird in the flock.
This shows they are sexually mature and egg laying is close at hand.

Combs and Wattles:
Plump, shiny red - usually means laying.
Shriveled, dryish looking and pale - usually means not laying.
Tho I have found that the combs and wattles can look full and red one minute then pale back out the next due to exertion or excitement, can drive ya nuts when waiting for a pullet to lay!

Vent Appearance:
Dry, tight, and smaller - usually not laying.
Moist, wide, and larger - usually laying.

Pelvic Points, feel for the 2 bony points(pelvic bones) on either side of vent:
Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.

Thanks aart! Ive been checking some vents on the pullets that look closest to laying (have 27 hens). Ive never caught one actually laying eggs so i didn't know which ones were actually laying yet (although a few had pelvic bones between 1.5 and 2 fingers wide). Based o the color variation in such a short period, i had assumed I had more than one laying. S you think its safe to say 3-4 are laying?

Thanks aart! Ive been checking some vents on the pullets that look closest to laying (have 27 hens). Ive never caught one actually laying eggs so i didn't know which ones were actually laying yet (although a few had pelvic bones between 1.5 and 2 fingers wide). Based o the color variation in such a short period, i had assumed I had more than one laying. S you think its safe to say 3-4 are laying?
Sure.
With 27 pullets(?) to check, not sure I'd try to keep count tho - haha!

Yeah. I definitely dont. Just have around 5 or 6 that seem close that I check. Good to know ive at least got a few laying.

Back
Top Bottom