Question about Old Cotswold Legbar

I also noticed the the Fenton Blue, which is also known as a Skyline, is a hybird in the UK made from the Cream Legbar that claims to lay larger eggs and be more productive than the Cream Legbar. Are the "Old Cotswold Eggs" that are sold in the UK produced by the Skyline/ Fenton Blue Hydirds? My understanding is that the "Cotwold Legbars" are hybirds made from the Cream Legbar used to lay comercial blue eggs.

How do the Fenton Blue/Skylines hybirds tie in here?

Last edited:
Interesting, I haven't heard of the Fentons! Will have to look them up. Good to know the legbars might not have the large yolks. I was worried that might be the case since there aren't any gooey yolk photos for the legbars. I fully admit that I am a yolk addict, and an egg with a proportionally larger yolk is something I actually actively sought for and then came across the Cotswold's, rather than the other way around. I do end up doing some rather odd google searches.

Now there is an endangered wild island bird that lays long eggs with a huge yolk in them! I think my chances of obtaining them are even slimmer. ;)

I did some searching too, but was hoping for some feedback from Silverfox0786 or possible Stone Unhenged.

I just found that another Cream Legbar Hybird is the UK is called the "Columbine".

hi guys sorry been so busy with raiusing chicken and also just got some geese and ducks

yes thats right fentons are hybrid green layers

there is a fenton blue and fenton rose very popular

im gonna be breeding some in the new year

columbines is also another green layer hybrid bred using a cream legbar and a british tailed araucana (its not a new keeper recomended chicken and is very new breed as its very skittish through out its life regardless)

In answer to your question. The Cotswold Legbar is auto-sexing and it does breed true. This breed can be purchased from Legbars of Broadway. There are many misconceptions about the Cotswold Legbar which is responsible for the rapid growth in interest in blue eggs, both in the UK and the US during the past fifteen years. It is now one of the most popular garden pets in the UK along with the famous Burford Brown.

The Cotswold Legbar was first bred by Philip Lee-Woolf for supplying blue eggs to Fortnum & Mason in 1991 at Millhampost Farm in Winchcombe, Gloucester. Using bloodlines originating from Clarence Elliott's stock introduced to ths Country in the 1940's from Pategonia. Elliott's grandson, Martin, lives near Stow-on-the-Wold.

there is alot of controvery amoungs the cotswold

alot of people say its not auto sexing and i read and beleived that

some people like you say it is

well i bred some chicken a Cream Legbar Crossed with Hybrids and what i got was a surprise

they indeed are Autosexing

i have 4 girls and 1 boy and a White legbar (yes its not a known breed its what i decided to name it) thats also a girl

i know thwy are autosexed as i also vent sexed them and they turned out to be sexed acording to what the down was saying and breeding true that also seems true

the wing feathers are somming in

brown and black for the girls and white/silver and black for the boy

Last edited:
In answer to your question. The Cotswold Legbar is auto-sexing and it does breed true. This breed can be purchased from Legbars of Broadway. There are many misconceptions about the Cotswold Legbar which is responsible for the rapid growth in interest in blue eggs, both in the UK and the US during the past fifteen years. It is now one of the most popular garden pets in the UK along with the famous Burford Brown.
The Cotswold Legbar was first bred by Philip Lee-Woolf for supplying blue eggs to Fortnum & Mason in 1991 at Millhampost Farm in Winchcombe, Gloucester. Using bloodlines originating from Clarence Elliott's stock introduced to ths Country in the 1940's from Pategonia. Elliott's grandson, Martin, lives near Stow-on-the-Wold.
Hi Cotswold Legbar,
welcome to the forum!!

Are you a writer? it all sounds like poetry...;O)

Hi SilverFox--
very nice pictures!

In Prof. Punnett's 1933 publications on the Blue Egg in the the Journal of Genetic he credits Mr. Claud Elliott (NOT Clarence) as give him this three Chilean hens that were brough to the UK in 1930.

I haven't seen any primary sources from Mr. Elliott, but my secondary sources state that he started back from Pategonia with a cockerel and three hens, but that the cockerel was cooked for dinner by the ship's cook on the voyage back. Prof. Punnet's recieved the three Chilean Hens for research as head of the Cambrige University Breeding Program which was charged with the National Poultry Research.

Below in a link to the archieved Blue Egg paper in the Journal of Genetics. This is was the begining of the Cream Legbar.
http://www.ias.ac.in/jarch/jgenet/27/465.pdf

Another important paper to the history of the Cream Legbar Breed is the Cream Plumage Paper by Prof. Punnett. published in 1948.
http://www.ias.ac.in/jarch/jgenet/48/327.pdf

Also.... My Dad grew up on a Dairy farm in Wyoming, USA. They kept a laying flock of 30-50 hens that had layers with Araucana blood that produce Blue/Green egg. Blue eggs have been in my family for three generations.

Back
Top Bottom