Question about our new coop

burch7297

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 9, 2012
Finger Lakes NY
Hello all, Just a quick question here. We are new to having chickens in our family and we built them a beautiful new coop. I read some places that the coop should be air tight other than ventilation by a window and other places I read not to have it air tight. With the coop complete we noticed small spots that may have a crack here or there. Nothing big enough for any critter to get in but just small enough to let outdoor air in. My question is, should we seal these up or are they ok? Thanks The Burchs

You want ventilation to avoid Frostbite in the winter and help keep them cool in the summer. You coop is similar in style and type to mine.

Id Put Gable vents in at the peak on each end and Id put Sofit vents in on both sides ( assuming you have typical framing on the inside )

I would not worry sealing up the little gaps in the wall as long as there small enough to keep predators out. Can you post some more pic's and bigger sized ones.

Ventilation is a must. It is needed to move the amonia and moisture in the air out of the coop. With out ventilation your chickens could end up with respiratory problems. Ventilation(other than the windows) should be placed at the highest points of the coop.

Thanks so much for the info and suggestions. I can post some more pics as soon as the coop arrives. We built it in my father-in-laws barn and we are trucking it here on a flatbead today. I will tell my husband about the vents and I think with the way it was built it shouldnt be a problem putting them in

I learned the hard way this past winter and had frost bite issues on combs. I have a small coop with 2 windows on the front side, and two small opening windows on the back. The chickens roost bar is directly in front of one of the larger front windows. Well, I was closing the small window behind them and the one in front of them, leaving the other two on the other side of the coop open, and had TONS of frost bite cases.

So, I decided to open everything. Even the one in front of them. I did however put cardboard in the window they roosted in front of with only a small slit at the top of the cardboard so that the moisture from their breath could escape. The one behind them left wide open to let the moisture from the poop escape.

NO Frostbite!! I was afraid I was going to freeze my chickens to death, being that it got down into the minus 4 and minus 5 range quite frequently. And ALL the windows of the coop were open!!! But everybody did extremely well, did not get cold and no more frost bitten combs!

So keep the air moving!! Chickens do a LOT of breathing and pooping. And all this exhaling and pooping causes a TON of moisture. Even at 32 degrees, they say a chicken will get frost bite on the comb if there is enough moisture present. And don't worry about it being so airy in the coop. As long as no wind is blowing directly on them, they can take the cold air around them.

So open those windows folks!!!!

Back
Top Bottom