Question about Outcast Hen...anything to worry about?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PghChickens14, Oct 26, 2010.

1. PghChickens14

PghChickens14 New Egg

Sep 18, 2010
    SW Pennsylvania
    My husband & I are fairly new to chicken raising, we have a small flock of an Americauna Roo (about 16 months old) & 6 hens. The hens are mixed breed, & the farmer we bought them off of said they should be laying somewhere between Thanksgiving & Christmas, so they're still fairly young. They have all been together about a month now, & seem to get along fine, but there is one hen that seems to be the black sheep. They are free ranging on our 2 acres, & often while the roo & 5 of the hens are in one part of our property, she is in a different part kind of doing her own thing. There have also been a few occasions, when she has disappeared all together for awhile, but has always come back. Also a few times, when we have gone to lock up their coop at night, while the others are all on the roosting poles, she has laid down in one of the nesting boxes. My question is, is this of any concern? I'm not sure if she is just kind of an oddball & is straying from the group, or if the rest of the flock is shunning her. So far, I have not seen any of the others physically picking on her, & I've checked her out to make sure that she doesn't have any injuries, wounds, etc. but she seems to be fine. Any advice would be great! Thanks you [​IMG]
  2. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    Honestly i know that my friend who raises Cochins has one like that he calls "Solo" - tho when she was very young a mink got in and killed her mom - so she sort of grew up on her own. But anytime of the day she is by herself - no one picks on her - she is just a loner - it should be fine as long as she isnt getting overly bullied - she is getting food and water- etc.
  3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I agree with Inkheart. Just make sure that your loner is getting free access to the feeders and waterers. It's always a good idea to have more than one feeder for just this reason.

My Lilith, a buff brahma, has always been a loner. I just let her do her own thing. At treat time, I always put a little scratch or what-have-you just a bit away from the others, so Lilith can have some without being chased away by the other chickens.

I tried introducing Lilith to my baby flock, hoping she would find a place there, but she prefers her own flock; even if they are mean to her.
  4. PghChickens14

PghChickens14 New Egg

Sep 18, 2010
    SW Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the reassurance. Yes, she eats & drinks just fine, sometimes with the flock, sometimes without. And anytime they feed or snack together, no one is usually mean to her so I guess she's just content to march to the beat of her own drum :)
  5. mrsmaonaigh

mrsmaonaigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    SE Georgia
    I have a hen like that. I posted the same question a while back. She seems to be content doing her own thing. She will go hang out with the flock when she wants but for the most part she does her own thing. I have noticed that when she is with the flock she is very snappish at the other girls. She seems like a crotchety old woman but is still young. I think it is better that she goes off on her own or else none of my girls would have any feathers left! LOL!
  6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have a Buff Orpington named Butterscotch that likes to be by herself.
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Chickens don't "shun". People are the animals who do that. She is just a free spirit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by