question about parentage of my chick

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by nunlef, Mar 20, 2013.

1. nunlef

nunlef Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    Hi,
    I hatched out 9 chicks from my little flock on March 10th. I thought that my Lavender Bantam Cochin roo was the father (because of the young age of my other cockerel), but I'm a little confused because of the colors I got.

Possible mothers are, 1. buff orpington (not likely as the eggs didn't look like hers) 2. Barred Rock (entirely possible) 3. Columbian Rock (again, not likely as I only have one) 4. Australorp mix (most likely, I have the most of that kind. they are an australorp x dk cornish and are solid black with the beetle green/purple plumage).

Potential fathers are 1. Lavender bantam cochin, will be 1 year old next week - he is the head honcho of my flock, and all eggs have been fertile for months. 2. Australorp x dk cornish, he was about 5-6 months old when the eggs were collected, and hadn't started crowing yet (started about 3 weeks ago, and now he crows like a madman). Eggs had been fertile for a few months before he began living in that coop.

OK, none of the 9 chicks have feathered legs.
    6 chicks have some black on legs, and 8 out of 9 appear to have yellow under the black.
    3 chicks that look the same as the picture (they came from the eggs that were slightly smaller and darker) .
    one chick is fluffy yellow with 2 black spots on the head (and solid yellow legs).
    5 chicks that are mostly black (varying degrees of white markings)

SO, can anyone give me a guess as to the parentage of the pictured chick. I think they are such a neat color, and the body down isn't really brown, not really black, but not really gray.

[​IMG]

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    The father is not the cochin (10000% positive on that). Your young roo is doing stealth runs on the hens behind his back. It happens.

The mother is very unlikely to be the barred rock. I would say it's the australorp mix or the columbian rock. You'll be able to get a more accurate guess when the chicks feather out more.

3. nunlef

nunlef Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks so much. I thought for sure the australorp wasn't old enough, but then these chicks were born... Anyway, he actually has a great temperament so the chicks should be a good addition - just not what I was hoping for.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by