Question about Protozoan Infections? (from Vet)

Yeah, the evasiveness bothered me. I did get the sense that it might have been for a liability issue regarding diagnosing and treating a bird that I technically did not bring in to see them, which is why I chose not to press too hard. I have a copy of the chicken health handbook and read through the section on protozoan diseases this afternoon and I'm still left with the idea that there's nothing really wrong with my chickens. I also find it somewhat suspicious that the treatment they would use would be a one-time administration in the office without a follow up. I had thought protozoan infections were handled with antibiotics in a specific course of treatment, and dewormers etc were to be administered twice. Most protozoan infections appear to be self-limiting in mature and healthy hens, anyway, and all four of my chickens are normal happy cluckers.

I was told by the vet, since the chickens aren't acting sick, I could completely clean out the run area like I clean out my coop, but considering it's basically a dirt floor with hardware wire buried beneath the hemp and sand, I'm not sure it'd be possible to clean it thoroughly enough to prevent reinfection of whatever-it-is, especially since the girls do range our property and forage for bugs/worms while I'm out with them -- usually about four hours per day. It was just a strange and unexpected conversation to have. At least my gecko is verified healthy???

Attached are pictures of my beautiful happy ladies. Only Eleanor, my speckled sussex, hasn't started laying eggs yet, but I'm kind of figuring she'll be our last holdout until the days get longer...

2ai8N16L4fTqrTpu6jDnaY.jpg

1dDZRitLrxRGIsu6xmAsck.jpg

4DKpetrv6XHfDFSLWiogot.jpg
3AHJ6SD20uuNnob4D7JfUA.jpg

Yeah, the evasiveness bothered me. I did get the sense that it might have been for a liability issue regarding diagnosing and treating a bird that I technically did not bring in to see them, which is why I chose not to press too hard. I have a copy of the chicken health handbook and read through the section on protozoan diseases this afternoon and I'm still left with the idea that there's nothing really wrong with my chickens. I also find it somewhat suspicious that the treatment they would use would be a one-time administration in the office without a follow up. I had thought protozoan infections were handled with antibiotics in a specific course of treatment, and dewormers etc were to be administered twice. Most protozoan infections appear to be self-limiting in mature and healthy hens, anyway, and all four of my chickens are normal happy cluckers.

I was told by the vet, since the chickens aren't acting sick, I could completely clean out the run area like I clean out my coop, but considering it's basically a dirt floor with hardware wire buried beneath the hemp and sand, I'm not sure it'd be possible to clean it thoroughly enough to prevent reinfection of whatever-it-is, especially since the girls do range our property and forage for bugs/worms while I'm out with them -- usually about four hours per day. It was just a strange and unexpected conversation to have. At least my gecko is verified healthy???

Attached are pictures of my beautiful happy ladies. Only Eleanor, my speckled sussex, hasn't started laying eggs yet, but I'm kind of figuring she'll be our last holdout until the days get longer...

2ai8N16L4fTqrTpu6jDnaY.jpg

1dDZRitLrxRGIsu6xmAsck.jpg

4DKpetrv6XHfDFSLWiogot.jpg
3AHJ6SD20uuNnob4D7JfUA.jpg
Yeah, I wouldn’t worry about your hens. I certainly wouldn’t worry about cleaning out your run. It really doesn’t sound like you have a problem.

Back
Top Bottom