question about raising two different breeds of chicks together

Ok, i have a need for somemore advice: when the chicks are fully feathered and ready to go out, should i separate the sexes to adulthood or should i leave them together? There will be two coops with runs attached and i was going to keep them segregated by breed but if they will be ok together, it seems like it would be easier to keep rirs and wyandottes together!

I have 8 different breeds, 3 different ages, kept together. No problems. The chicks raised together, flock together, but all are in one coop. I love the variety! Tell your father in law the hatcheries sell assortments packs
smile.png

I have 5 roosters (ages 8 months, 5 months, and 2 months) I am keeping them together until they say otherwise.

Thanks so much guys, and to stephanie, i just about laughed my butt off in your suggestion because just the other night, while my father in law was looking at those hatchery books, he exclaimed "boy they sure are ripping some people off on these assortments - they aint all gonna survive the broodin' " i wondered to myself exactly what his idea of "broodin" is....maybe he was sittin on the chicks back when he had chickens lol! I know now to take everything he says with a grain of salt!

I've raised all sorts of chicks together, including 19 meat birds in with my layers. They all did fine.

Back
Top Bottom