question about refrigerated duck eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Nikkumz, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Nikkumz

Nikkumz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Spanaway,WA
    So my duck has laid a total of 11 eggs, i have washed and refrigerated 7 of them and there are still 4 in the nest. If i put the other 7 in the nest will they still hatch? Its been 1 egg a day so the oldest has been in the fridge for about a week and a half now. I know they are all fertile because i have opened two and i know shes mating with my male.
    Do the 7 in the fridge have a chance of hatching?
    Please help, thanks!

2. Nikkumz

Mar 24, 2011
    Spanaway,WA
    anyone have any advice?

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Might wait more than 8 min before posting again. It falls under "bumping" your thread. [​IMG]

There is still a chance they can hatch, nothing to lose to put them under. At worse they don't hatch.

4. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    Washington
    Yes, there is a chance, though not as good a chance as you'd have if they weren't refrigerated a week. I'd try it.

5. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    I would try it too. Some are likely to hatch.

6. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chilling lowers the hatch rate, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of them make it. When wild ducks begin to lay here in April, it can still get very cold at night, and I know the nests are untended for the laying period. They are covered with down so insulated somewhat, but they still get pretty cold, and those still hatch.

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I've hatched out refrigerated eggs plenty of times before (none were over 2 wks old), so it won't hurt to try. Good luck [​IMG]

8. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    You don't actually say whether or not the duck is broody. If she isn't broody, then none of them are going to hatch.

9. Nikkumz

Mar 24, 2011
    Spanaway,WA
    Well, when i got her she was broody but was only sitting on one egg, i was told that ducks are the type to get broody when they have a big enough clutch, she has 13 in her nest now that i put those others back and she is laying 1 a day. She buries the eggs like a good momma duck would do and i know shes a good mom ive seen her hatch and take care of two different clutches this year already at the farm not far from us where i got her

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by