Question about removing chicks from incubator

Photokitty

Chirping
Jul 6, 2017
Marlinton, West Virginia
I had most of my bantams hatch on Day 20 and now we are 24 hours later and A LOT of my standards haven't pipped yet but some actually have started. I know its bad to open the incubator with pips and they can survive 48 hours but one standard just hatched and they pecked at him quite a lot. I was planning on waiting until tonight to take them out (we have 11 now with about 20 more to hatch), would that be ok or would the morning be better? They are fluffing out now in about 2 hours and the first ones have their baby legs.

I had most of my bantams hatch on Day 20 and now we are 24 hours later and A LOT of my standards haven't pipped yet but some actually have started. I know its bad to open the incubator with pips and they can survive 48 hours but one standard just hatched and they pecked at him quite a lot. I was planning on waiting until tonight to take them out (we have 11 now with about 20 more to hatch), would that be ok or would the morning be better? They are fluffing out now in about 2 hours and the first ones have their baby legs.
If your babes are mostly dry, I would take them out. Just do it quickly and then monitor your humidity for the next hatching round. 11 chicks in there are going to be tough on the remaining eggs. I'd get them into your brooder.

I too would go ahead and get them moved to brooder. I’m not one for opening during hatch but if it’s looking full in there or others are hatching later I will open and remove.

Yes opening could cause shrink wrapping and or issues but it’s not a guarantee that will happen.

Good luck with your chicks and the rest of your hatch :fl

I ended up putting a wet paper towel in there about 30 min ahead of time. It rose the humidity up quite a bit. I then got the fluffed littles out (there were two not ready just yet so I left them in there). When I replaced the top the humidity stayed at 50% and went to 60% within a minute. I got 3 more hatch over night that are cream legbar mixes. So I am happy I took the risk. Just watching the other eggs make sure no-one is struggling that was pipped last night.

i had a malpositioned one and a slightly shrink wrapped one. I saved the slight shrink-wrap (it was dry on its wings/back but everywhere else was still very moist. The malpositioned one had its head over the wing looking away from the air cell.

i had a malpositioned one and a slightly shrink wrapped one. I saved the slight shrink-wrap (it was dry on its wings/back but everywhere else was still very moist. The malpositioned one had its head over the wing looking away from the air cell.
It sounds like your babies are in excellent hands. Well done on the assists. :wee

I dry hatch and I take the chicks out as they dry. Its didnt affect the others. I found my bantams were ready to eat and drink at about the 12 hour mark.

Back
Top Bottom