Question about Rhode island reds

dandydoodle

Songster
9 Years
Sep 21, 2010
georgia
I have two Rhode Island Red chicks that I bought, they are supposed to have been sexed. They are both suppose to be hens. They are about three months old and one has about 5 or 6 black feathers at the tip of its tail. I think the other has one. Does this mean its a rooster or do the hens get some black sometimes? I really appreciate the help, I have never had Rhode island Reds before.

tongue.png

I have a couple hatchery RIR hens and one roo, both hens have a little black here and there in the tail/wing feathers. Can you post a pic of your bird? My RIR roo was very obvious from an early age because of his much more developed comb/wattles and huge legs.

Quote:
At three months old, you should be able to tell by the comb and wattles, and the hackle and saddle feathers.

I can probably do it in a little while. I need to charge my phone and take pics then download. Do you have any pics of your roo at a young age on hand? I would love to see them.

Quote:

Are the hackle and Saddle feathers red? I don't think I see any.

Quote:
At three months old, you should be able to tell by the comb and wattles, and the hackle and saddle feathers.

Both males and female should have black tail feathers, that's from the columbian pattern. The hackled and saddle feathers on the males will be pointed when they are a few months old

Back
Top Bottom