Question about Rhode island reds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by dandydoodle, Dec 29, 2011.

1. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    I have two Rhode Island Red chicks that I bought, they are supposed to have been sexed. They are both suppose to be hens. They are about three months old and one has about 5 or 6 black feathers at the tip of its tail. I think the other has one. Does this mean its a rooster or do the hens get some black sometimes? I really appreciate the help, I have never had Rhode island Reds before.

[​IMG]

2. Josie360

Josie360 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Central Texas
    One of my RIR hens has black in her tail feathers [​IMG]

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Mine, too.

4. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Thanks, by what age are you usually able to tell boys from girls as far as Rhode island reds are concerned?

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I have a couple hatchery RIR hens and one roo, both hens have a little black here and there in the tail/wing feathers. Can you post a pic of your bird? My RIR roo was very obvious from an early age because of his much more developed comb/wattles and huge legs.

6. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Cool, I sure hope it is a hen I have enough roos for now.

Quote:Mine, too.

7. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Quote:At three months old, you should be able to tell by the comb and wattles, and the hackle and saddle feathers.

8. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    I can probably do it in a little while. I need to charge my phone and take pics then download. Do you have any pics of your roo at a young age on hand? I would love to see them.

Quote:

9. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Are the hackle and Saddle feathers red? I don't think I see any.

Quote:At three months old, you should be able to tell by the comb and wattles, and the hackle and saddle feathers.

10. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Both males and female should have black tail feathers, that's from the columbian pattern. The hackled and saddle feathers on the males will be pointed when they are a few months old

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by