Question about roos mating with other hens

ptig78d

Songster
13 Years
Apr 28, 2008
Bucksport, ME
I have two roos..one older one BR, and a younger one that we got from a neighbor who had to get rid of her chickens due to a move...which I'm not sure what breed he is. I'll take a picture later and post it when I get a chance.
I have a broody golden phoenix (I think....the lady didn't know what kind of chickens she had....and I didn't care since they were free) and I've seen white eggs in the clutch she's sitting on...but there are two other gp hens as well. I was thinking about seeing whether she'll hatch the clutch she's sitting on now...but I don't know if the white eggs are fertile, as it doesn't appear that she or the other gp hens are missing feathers on their backs.
So, one of my questions is this: Will a roo mate with any hen, no matter what the breed, or might he be ignoring them?

Quote:
To a roo, one hen is as good as the next; although they do have their favorites.
Some roos are very good with their hens and don't tear up their backs. However, I have two hens that my roo would dearly love to mate but they are having no part of it. One of my two "you ain't going there big boy" hens was standing on a fence post 6 ft. high yesterday with my roo looking up and longing yesterday, but she's too fast for him.

My roosters are not picky when it comes to doing their business, they catch the first available lady they can grab, but as stated in previous post they do tend to have their favorites.
Maybe you can sacrafice one of the white eggs and break it open to see if they may be fertile.

maybe...I don't know how you would tell if an egg fertile.....unless you wait 10 days to candle it.
We haven't gotten any white eggs for a few days now....and of the brown eggs, we've only gotten about 6 the last two days. We only have the one roo that I've ever seen mating....the other roo we have was recently acquired with the 3 golden phoenix's...and I'm not sure how old he is, but I've never seen him going after any of the ladies, yet. I don't know if he's too young, or too afraid of Bruce, our BR roo who is the "king of the roost".
big_smile.png

Good morning. I took the camera with me when I let the chickens out this morning..but the rooster in question didn't come out. So, I took the picture of him in the coop. As I said, he came from the neighbor lady who didn't know what kinds of chickens she had. You should have read the write-up in the town paper when one of her chickens ran off! It said something to the tune of "The owner was pretty sure it had wings and feathers"
So, the chickens we "rescued" were this roo, three golden phoenix hens, and three buff cochin banties.

9600_dsc00135.jpg

Well, here's the picture. Any ideas? I thought RIR at first, but the feathers are darker and those black tail feathers make me think he's either an entirely different breed, or crossed with something. I thought, of course, he was a phoenix at first...since he was in the same cage with the gp pullets back over at the neighbor's house.

Quote:
I'd go with RIR. They get very dark tail feathers and saddles as they mature - the ones Ive seen do. And yes, a cockerel will mate any female that he can get ahold of. He has little discretion in that regard.

I'd also go with RIR.

This site shows how to tell if an egg is fertile. Unfortunately, it has to be sacrificed to be tested as pinkchick said.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16008

The new rooster has to establish his place in the flock before he will do his business, which means he has to establish a dominance over the hens. With an established rooster in place this gets a little confusing for him but it will eventually work out. A young rooster can have problems like this when introduced to an established flock even if another rooster is not present. Expect some dominance fights with Bruce, but as long as no blood is drawn, it will work out.

Back
Top Bottom