Question about rooster behavior.

zookeeper02

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 13, 2012
Caldwell, ID
I have a 3 1/2 month old EE roo that started crowing a few weeks ago. Just this week, he has started to give me some 'tude. He doesn't charge me, but first thing in the morning, I've noticed him standing his ground when I walk near him, and today I even got a half-hearted peck. My response has been to pick him and hold him for a couple of minutes until he's quiet, and I make sure the other birds can see it. The rest of the day he seems fine, he just needs that reminder in the morning.
Other than that he's been great; he only crows a few times in the morning, he gets along very well with the other birds, he has started alerting if wild birds fly over the yard, he gives up treats to the girls, and he completely ignores the dog and the kids. I am the one who does the vast majority of the care, feeding, and handling. I'm thinking that the hormones are ramping up, and he starting to have a bratty teenager phase. My question is, if that's the case, how long does it last?

Here's the handsome brat, pic taken a couple of days ago:

I do that, and after his morning "adjustment", he has no problem getting out of my way. He's very wary of the kids, they move too much and make too much noise, he just stays on the other side of the yard. I think he's more familiar with me since I'm the caregiver, and I've had him since he was two days old. Has anyone that has raised a rooster from a young chick, observed a "phase" during which their boy acted up, then mellowed out as he became more mature?

Usually the bad time lasts about 4-5 months, IME.

I was just thinking this am I've not seen my two year old home hatched rooster even mate a hen recently, and I never had issues with him growing up dominance-wise. I know he is mating the hens cause the eggs are fertile, but he's quiet about it and no longer has the raging hormones.

Thanks sharing your experience. I'm hoping it doesn't get too bad, because I really like him, he's showing a lot of positive personality traits. I have no problem in working to assert myself, and to make sure my other family members are safe. This is my first go-round with chickens, and I'm curious what to expect with his behavior. I originally planned to only have four hens, but now I have one young roo, three hens, and four pullets. Chicken math..........

Back
Top Bottom