Question about roosts

Keepin A Breast

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 19, 2012
I need to do some modifying!
I keep getting bumblefoot. I live in the desert, there are always stickers, ants, slivers etc but I am thinking that I need to do something with my roosts. I have boards turned sideways, so that they are flat. I have always had them like this since I started having chickens, and no problems, but with all the problems lately I am thinking I need to add carpet or rubber mat to them to make them put less pressure on the chickens feet. I really don't want to replace them, they are nice redwood. They are quite high up off the floor, but they don't fly off of them as I have two ladders that they use.
Has anyone else done this? How did it work out? Do you see problems with the carpet other than needing it replaced frequently and possibly harboring mites? Has anyone used rubber mat? Any reason not to? Just trying to think of ideas.
These chickens are well fed, in a coop much larger than they need and is completely cleaned 2x a year. They are allowed to free range.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

I use 2x2" then taper the top so they can grip it, Not perfectly round like a branch , which I have used before. Never had a problem.

Ok doesn't sound like the roost is the problem.

I don't think you need to put in carpet.

In my experience bumblefoot comes from broken skin.

splinters on roost? or are there rough rocky areas / ground that could be causing it?

you could try put sand down in base of coop (if you don't already)

Also diet could be a factor - make sure you are using the right feed, provide a calcium source like crushed oyster shells and don't go overboard on the treats.

x2! I do think that a flat roost rather than a tree limb will put more pressure on the feet; the tree branches are a more natural roosting site. Are you using deep shavings as bedding? Again, a softer floor for them. Too many goodies can produce obesity, and nutritional deficiencies, both promoting foot issues. If you have one or two birds that repeatedly have issues, you could just move them on. Mary

Back
Top Bottom