Question about run size

It depends on the twmperment of the birds and their size. Bantams? Absolutely, get 3 or 4. Small LFs? Sure, 2 would more than likely be fine as long as one isn't a total bully. Large LFs? Only if they are quite calm with each other. I've had breeding pairs housed similarly and they do just fine, but I also make sure that The birds are docile and not temperamental
I haven't decided what breed I want yet. I love the look of barred rock, and also really like Silkies. I plan to only have 2-3 birds.

I haven't decided what breed I want yet. I love the look of barred rock, and also really like Silkies. I plan to only have 2-3 birds.

BR are good birds.

Never had Silkies, but hear they don’t take really cold temps very well, so might matter depending on your location.
Have also heard Silkies can get picked on by other birds, however, Silkie owners should share their experiences with a small mixed flock.

I wouldn't for silkies then since they're in a tighter space. Have you considered barred cochins?

I haven't yet. I know that locally I can get my hands on Silkies, Barred Rock, Wyandottes, and Buff Orpingtons. I had Buff Orphingtons before and while I liked their temperment, I think they might get too big for the type of setup I am looking at.

I just love their fuzzy little feets!

I have a friend with a flock that I could get some from fairly easily.
Silkies are pretty docile in confinement and Cochins are too, especially bantams, and you can get them in the barred pattern too
20210328_122839.jpg

You're going to want a sizable coop and run for those nasty winter storms.
A walk-in coop makes winter choring much more pleasant.
Can get away with a smaller coop if it's in side a weather proof run.

Come check out the Michigan Chat Thread
Yes....

Lots of snow = the need for a much larger coop since you need more space for super cold and windy and nasty winter days.

Especially silkies... or Cochins... those feathered feet are NOT good in icy mud or damp snow.

Mud balls and snow balls will form on the toes, and if not carefully checked daily can result in toe loss.

Take home message: you want a large coop and a fully covered run that can be kept snow free and mud free and dry.

Back
Top Bottom