Question about scratch?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by vjbakke, Apr 22, 2011.

1. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    If chickens are fed a complete feed do they need scratch? Or do they just need it for a treat sometimes?

2. jenni22776rn

jenni22776rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Central Maine
    I was told on here that it is ok as a treat but really should not be given in large amounts...it is like candy for them and not good for nutrional value....my ladies love it and I used it for my teenagers to coax them into their coop...but otherwise just as a treat for them [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:They don't need scratch, it is a treat.

Imp

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Just a treat sometimes. I only use scratch when I want to bribe them to a new pen or something along those lines.

A general guideline is that no more than 10% of the diet should be treats. Some folks in hot, humid climates only feed scratch in the cold months, since it helps the birds keep warm.

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:[​IMG] Yup works as a bribe too.

I toss mine in the mossy areas of the lawn, they "scratch" it up.

Imp- wait, I'm in Seattle, the entire yard is a mossy area. They better get busy.

6. birdmomma

birdmomma Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2010
    Loveland, OH
    So I bought a big bag of scratch and then discovered it's a treat - how long will it keep?

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Varies by how it's stored and how fresh it is. Try to choose a cool dry place and keep it well sealed, as in a garbage can. I've had them last quite a while. Just give it a sniff now and then for an "off" smell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by