Question about scrating, literally

Bridgette1221

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 29, 2009
My babies are 22 days old and they scratch themselves alot. Is that normal or should I worry about them having mites or something? They also spread their feathers (what feathers they have) any nibble on them. How would I know if its normal behavior or some sort of bug?

All birds prun themselves, but it sounds like you may have a mite/lice issue. I know there is a way to check but I'm not an expert. I think you need to look towards the base of the feathers for small bugs. And there are things you can get to clear the bugs right up!

Hopefully someone wiser will answer and tell you what you could get to rid them of the pests!
fl.gif

I've checked out a few of them.... looking under their feathers and such and I don't see anything. How small are they?

Mine are a week old and they do that a bit too
they are 'preening' their new little tiny wing feathers.
they grow so fast I bet they itch a little or they are just getting used to them

mine do not do this constantly

Pruning: The process of removing certain above-ground elements from a plant

Preening: To smooth or clean (feathers) with the beak or bill

Just trying to help!
hugs.gif

OK can somebody tell me about this sandbox thing? Do they need one? Do they like them? And what is this stuff you put in the sand box that helps with mites? I've seen some mention Sevin ... is that Sevin dust, the stuff you put on plants to kill bugs? My neighbor has chickens too and he is asking about their scratching. He is Bulgarian and speaks pretty good english so we communicate pretty well but he needs specific instructions on how to do some things b/c of it. I want to make sure I get the right information and also that I give him the correct info. His chickens are big, although he has gotten some new ones lately. One of his hens had 2 babies and then he went and bought some other baby chicks and snuck them in under the mom at night and she thinks they are hers and vise versa. Its pretty cute... he just got like 5 more to do the same thing with today.
lau.gif

They are the same size just about as her other babies. I didin't know you could do that. They all just follow her around... its so cute. I got off subject there...
duc.gif
Anyone able to explain the sandbox thing to me?

Back
Top Bottom