Question about scrating, literally

Chickens like to take dust baths. Covering themselves with dust is a natural way for them to combat mites and lice. It does not cure them nor prevent them, but it seems to help them keep the levels down some.

If the chickens have accessto a dry dirty spot, they will scratch and create a place to take a dust bath. It is a natural behavior and they enjoy it, even if they don't have mites or lice.

Many people who do not have the set-up to allow the chickens to dust bath outside (and some who do have the set-up) create a place for them to dust bathe in the coop or run. You can use sand or dirt as long as it is dry. Others may use something other than sand or dirt.

Some of these put something in the dirt or sand to combat mites and lice. Some people use Sevin, the same stuff you put on your plants. You can do a search on here and find out which concentration and how much. Sevin is one of the recommended treatments for lice and certain mites. In my personal opinion, I would not use Sevin in a dust bath. For treatment, I think it is great, but chickens make a lot of dust. I know Sevin has a short half-life and is considered relatively safe for humans, but I'm uncomfortable with the thought of breathing that much Sevin. Also, I don't want to contribute to the development of a Sevin-resistant strain of lice or mite. As I said, this is my personal opinion. Many people are happy using Sevin in a dust bath.

Another substance used in dust baths is DE. It has to be food-grade DE or it can harm you and your chickens. You can do a search on DE and get a lot of good information, including what it stands for. I'm not going to tackle the spelling on one cup of coffee. It is not a chemical but is basically very sharp, very hard bits that slice little bitty things and kill them. You'd have to check your local laws and regulations as they sometimes differ, but DE is likely approved for "organic". Sevin is not.

I don't use either as a preventative. Both methods have their devoted followers. Hope this answers your question.

Quote:
lol.png
i have to keep telling my wife the same thing. and now, she's gotten into the habit of calling the roost a "stoop'. i think she does it cause she likes to see my head shake.

Diatomaceous Earth is DE.

My chicks don't have mites or lice either. Every time I've let them out, Fuzzy (lead pullet) has to have a nice, long dust bath. In fact, our youngest, Chickie, tried to join her in the dust area she made and she pushed Chickie out of the way. She didn't want to share.
smack.gif
clap.gif
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom