Question about shipped eggs? Are they not fertilized?

JustPeachy

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 14, 2011
Waynesboro, Ga
I bought some shipped hatching eggs (Serama) and I candled them on day 14, all of the eggs are clear. Does that mean they are all unfertile or could it be something else related to shipping? My hubby is upset because he thinks we were sold eggs that the seller knows were not fertile but I wanted to make sure something else couldn't cause this before getting back with the seller?

Quote:
It's possible they aren't fertile, however with shipped eggs there's lots of factors involved. Postal handling, air travel, packaging, x-rays, etc. All of those can pretty much scramble the egg and make it not develop.
sad.png
Is the seller pretty reputable? They *might* be willing to ship you another set for shipping cost, it's worth asking to see.

Thanks, I just wasnt sure if it would look the same? Well it was a little back and forth with very little communication on the part of the seller, I had to send a lot of emails and the eggs came 1.5wks later than promised, so I doubt if I will get any response. The eggs didnt look damaged at all when they arrived, Ill give them that atleast.

I would say they were unfertile. Even when i try to incubate older eggs that have been sitting there for a couple weeks or eggs that have been in the refrigerator they at least "TRY" to start developing. I would get into contact with them and let them know, but yep sounds to me like they were unfertile.

Recently I had 14 non fertile Lavender eggs come from Oregon. No bulls eye. I also talked to a few others that had the same problem with the sellers eggs. She sells on ebay and here but has the eBay mentality.. She did refund my purchase price but refused to refund shipping. Better than nothing but I will not recommend her and will pm anyone I see bidding on her auctions to warn them

Easy enough to check. If you have "given up" on the eggs, gently crack them into a dish and check for the bulls eye. No Bulls eye and they are not fertile. Bulls eye and they are fertile and something else caused them not to develop. I would take step by step pictures of the process to show the seller if they are not fertile.

I contacted the seller and she happily agreed to send me some more eggs for the cost of shipping. Hopefully I will get some chicks this time!

Back
Top Bottom