Question about shipped eggs received

WyandotteTX

Songster
10 Years
Jan 10, 2010
I recently bought some hatching eggs, 54 of them to be exact. They were all packed well when we received them but the problem was the top two layers of packing and the eggs contained within were damp with condensation. They came from the midwest where it was colder at the time than where I live, TX. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this happen to their eggs with them being shipped from cooler climes to warmer climates? Or do you think that the eggs were refrigerated before they were shipped and thats why there was so much condensation on them? BTW only 25 of them were fertile after 10 days and only 3 eggs hatched with only 1 chick surviving past the first day. We had fresh eggs from our chickens set at the same time that hatched over 90% so it wasnt the incubator or anything we were doing in that regard. Pretty disheartened by this experience, never had a shipment of eggs go south on me so to speak like these did......on top of it all they were an Extremely Rare breed....ugh.

I guess I am the only person that has had this happen, perhaps it is a mystery of science that cannot be answered...

Quote:
I don't know if they were refrigerated before they were shipped, but I am wondering since it was cold where they were shipped from perhaps they got too cold somewhere along the way. Did they sit over a weekend at a postal facility or with someone who was contracted by the PO? Maybe they did get too cold and then when they got to warmth they condensed?

Did you speak to the seller about this? They should be at least willing to ship you new eggs for the cost of S&H. That's what I do. If the buyer has a problem the second time, then I assume there is a problem on that end and will sell them another try....but that doesn't sound like the case for you.

I am sorry. It isn't much fun to be out the money, but it is worse when you really wanted the breed.
hugs.gif

I do not know about condensation per se or what may have caused it. Definitely talk to the breeder/seller and see if they would be willing to work something out. There might be something happening at their end in the post office that they need to be made aware of. It could be a number of factors, so talking with your seller (without blaming/finger-pointing, as you have been so eloquent to do in your post) would be the first order of business. Make your next step based on how the seller responds.

I've not had the best luck with shipped eggs. I only bought them once, had a 0% hatch rate. I think things happen, as you mentioned, such as changes in humidity, temperature, and climate when they move from one part of the country to another. Now that it's spring, I'm going to consider trying another batch of shipped eggs in the hopes of having better luck.

I wish you also better luck with your next batch.
smile.png

I received eggs in VT shipped from Florida 24 days ago. They were perfectly packaged in bubble wrap. I set them in cartons to let them settle prior to setting in the bator. I noticed right away they were "damp". Long story short, 9 out of 12 hatched a couple days ago. I think it was the temp change for sure.

Thanks for the responses. I really do think it was colder weather that caused the condensation. My best guess is that they were in an unheated part of the plane and got cold and then brought to Texas where it was above 80. I have talked to the seller but havent gotten any response from him. I may try and buy some more from him since it is now alot warmer where they are coming from.

I was just thinking the outer layer would have been the most exposed to the weather so depending on how cold it was for how long they could have acted like a little insulation layer. Just a thought

Back
Top Bottom