Question about shipped eggs....

AmericanMom

Songster
6 Years
Aug 10, 2013
Oregon
I had just posted about setting eggs in my incubator and today added 7 shipped eggs, Went to give one more check through the window before calling it a night and noticed a spot of yellow in the water well... I took off the lid and sure enough, one of the shipped eggs had broken at the pointy end (perfect circle) and the insides were in the water well.... Hurried up and took everything out and removed the screen and water well, placing the eggs (with turner) back into the incubator...Sanitized the screen and water well and started to put everything back in when i decided to check the other shipped eggs, sure enough three more were doing the same thing, cracking around the tip, all had a clear fluid on them, I removed them and then decided to not chance it and took out the remaining three shipped eggs..
Question, why would they do this? I let them sit for 24 hours before placing them into the incubator even tho the lady I bought them from (ebay) told me to only let them sit for a few hours ( I decided to do what many here say to do)

Its not that great of a loss as I have 33 of my hens eggs in there but I wanted to try for a few differant breeds and dumb me, instead of trying local I decided to have them shipped (from Ca-Oregon)

That's different. Are they laying flat or are they in a turner or sitting in egg cartons? How did you store them? How were they packed shipped to you? Was it just the very end that had broken or how high up did the break go? By perfect circle do you mean a circle came off or the end was cracked in a circle in various pieces? Did you happen to candle them before you put them in or when you took the other ones out? Did they look like they had shell defects/wrinkles, those are fairly common in older hens and are often on the tip.

That's different. Are they laying flat or are they in a turner or sitting in egg cartons? How did you store them? How were they packed shipped to you? Was it just the very end that had broken or how high up did the break go? By perfect circle do you mean a circle came off or the end was cracked in a circle in various pieces? Did you happen to candle them before you put them in or when you took the other ones out? Did they look like they had shell defects/wrinkles, those are fairly common in older hens and are often on the tip.

I was told to store them upright in an egg carton til they came to room temp, she said a few hours, but upon researching it here I decided to be safe and wait 24 hours. I did candle them and three of the 7 had detached air cells 1 of those are the ones that broke. I didnt notice any hairline cracks, but I am a newbie at this and am sure I just didnt see them. And yes, almost a perfect circle at the tip about 3/8 inch and no, didnt think to candle the three that didnt break, I was alittle freaked out and was pretty worried about my other eggs in the bator. I did not notice any defects other than a couple of them seemed pretty thin shelled when i took them out, but again, i'm new at this. Also, when i put them in the incubator I placed them in up right in an egg carton, I didnt put them in the turner because as I said, a couple of them had detached air cells and I wanted them to try and settle before putting them in the turner.. They didnt even last 6 hours.

Weird, how were they packaged to ship? My guess would be they were set down hard enough on their bottoms in the box while shipping or handling to slightly crack them somewhere along the line, can see this happening, especially if they were thin shelled and since they were treated roughly enough to detach air cells (not uncommon, but it does mean they were bounced around some)... or in the egg cartons... and the thin shelled bit with shell defects on the bottoms contributing.

Weird, how were they packaged to ship? My guess would be they were set down hard enough on their bottoms in the box while shipping or handling to slightly crack them somewhere along the line, can see this happening, especially if they were thin shelled and since they were treated roughly enough to detach air cells (not uncommon, but it does mean they were bounced around some)... or in the egg cartons... and the thin shelled bit with shell defects on the bottoms contributing.

The were shipped each wrapped in bubble wrap but set on newspaper on their sides. The first thing i noticed upon opening the box was it sure didnt look as well pack as some I have seen on here..Live and learn, from now on I'll buy eggs right around where i live if i want differant than what I have.

Back
Top Bottom