Question about shipping horses...

Chickerdoodle13

The truth is out there...
12 Years
Mar 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I'm really only asking this because I am curious. I would love to get another horse as the horse I did get for me has become more my dad's than mine. However, horses by me are just WAY too expensive!

I'm just curious how much it would typically cost to ship a horse. Has anyone ever bought a horse without actually going to see it first? I know I would be extremely cautious about doing this, but it seems like people do it all the time. In other states good horses sell for $1000 - $2000. It makes me wonder why we even consider the $4000 horses for sale here! Most of them don't even have decent training.

Like I said, I'm mostly just curious, but I would like to hear about other's experiences!

It can cost anywhere from $500 to $1000. We bought a bunch of TBs out of Ohio back in Dec. 2006 and shared shipping costs on 16 horses. We also had a DEAL because the shipper was going to have to come back empty. I think that was $350 a horse, if I remember right. You also have to factor in the health certificate cost.

Are you looking for a horse finished in any specific discipline? What state are you in? I do know this- the horse market is in a VERY sad state and well broke horses are selling for 500.00 or less. ( I have a friend that had two dead broke horses just GIVEN to her) As far as shipping, go to www.dreamhorse.com and go to the transportation folder. Haulers offer quotes in there. Hope this helps!!

I shipped my girl from California to Nebraska - cost me $1500.00 But I had her in LUXURY quarters, a double stall all the way so she didn't have to be cross-tied.

IMG_2016.jpg

IMG_2018.jpg

I know horses in this state are going cheap too ...the best time to buy a horse in this area is the winter as no one wants to hay and feed them and they go really cheap...its sad really because I dont understand it as I have 6 of my own and just took in 4 more to take care of for a friend, yes its a expensive hobby and some people dont seem to realize its a real commitment and just sell it later...I love all of mine.

We have two horses now, but one is around 23 and not the most lively thing to ride! LOL I tend to like horses with just a little bit more spunk.

The other horse we bought after my horse died. It seems that my dad likes him better though and I feel more like it is "my dad's horse" rather than mine. Sometimes this can be frustrating and I am always keeping my eye out for deals. I know with the cost of hay right now, the horse market is great for buyers. Luckily, we have a wonderful source for hay and buy it for about $2.50 a bale.

I currently ride western, but mostly just leisure riding. My favorite thing to do is trail ride, so I need something I could trust and trailer myself. My dad is so afraid Stetson (the new horse) is going to flip out on me with the trailer because my dad had a bad experience with him. I asolutely LOVE small draft crosses and I was looking at tennessee walkers for awhile too. Paints are also a favorite of mine. Color doesn't matter, but I LOVE dark dark bays and blacks. I also like buckskins!

I haven't talked to my dad about it, but if I was to find a reasonably priced horse I think he would be up for this. I could probably even save up enough to buy one in no time. If anyone has any leads, let me know! Also, do you have the names or websites of these horse shippers? I live in New Jersey.

Thanks so much!

Last edited:
Well to be honest with you I think you could find a nice decent trail horse anywhere. The horse market is bad, people are giving them away because they can't afford to feed them, their hours at work are getting cut or worse yet they have lost their jobs, illnesses and I could go on and on.
Rescues in New England here a full up and turning them away, also telling people if the horse is aged to consider euthinization so they do not end up at auction.
Shipping has risen dramatically, diesel fuel is through the roof as is everything. And Wildsky your horse travelled on an awsome gorgeous rig! I am sure she had a wonderful air ride. I remember you posting about it and you were so worried!
But 13 I am serious,,,your dream horse is not that far from you. I can refer you to a great New England horse site and NJ is close as CT is included on there. When you add the cost of the horse from wherever plus the shipping you will be paying alot. AND I myself would never buy any horse without seeing it and all that goes with that. You just need to earnestly look as right now there are so many nice horses looking for homes. Many of the rescues have younger nice horses that people had to give up for various reasons as stated above personal or financial.
You do not need to buy a horse site unseen from halfway across the country or across the country for that matter. They are everywhere and looking for loving homes.
And I would like to know how you get hay for $2.50 a bale??? Is it local hay? I just paid $8.25 for Canadian grassy!!!! Good Luck and please just think about what I said.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom