Considering horses

I had horses all my life, until about 5 years ago. I've run riding schools, trained many horses and ponies etc etc. Horses are rather complicated to keep healthy, they're VERY expensive to keep, and they can be very dangerous for the inexperienced (and the experienced, for that matter). Keeping horses is about 90% work for 10% riding/fun haha.

I would recommend spending longer on lessons, moving to a lease or shared-lease. I'd then recommend boarding your horse or pony somewhere so you have experienced advice on hand. After a couple of years by all means move forward with keeping a couple on your own land.

Really appreciate all the candid feedback! ☺️ We are at least 2-3 years out from doing anything so that gives me time to further research all that was shared here.

Our neighbor two parcels down is a farrier and they’ve got horses, plus a friend of ours on the next road over who we are friendlier with. I could try to see what they’ve got going on as far as housing and setup and ask about current hay prices.

Our sandy soil is actually not bad as far as fertility but I would expect to bring in 100% of their hay as part of my estimations on cost and time (and logistics).

I’m about 30 minutes NW of Ocala, which is dubbed the horse capital of the world, so I think our conditions in the area are probably fine for keeping them, or certainly not worse than average. There is a huge equestrian complex that just went up and tons of feed stores, hay growers, etc. within a half hour drive in any direction. 👍🏼

One thing I didn’t ask about is manure management. Do you guys have a dedicated spot to put the poopy bedding and whatnot so it can age and then be used in your garden? I know about the issue with Grazon and would be sure to find out about that before buying hay.

Really appreciate all the candid feedback! ☺️ We are at least 2-3 years out from doing anything so that gives me time to further research all that was shared here.

Our neighbor two parcels down is a farrier and they’ve got horses, plus a friend of ours on the next road over who we are friendlier with. I could try to see what they’ve got going on as far as housing and setup and ask about current hay prices.

Our sandy soil is actually not bad as far as fertility but I would expect to bring in 100% of their hay as part of my estimations on cost and time (and logistics).

I’m about 30 minutes NW of Ocala, which is dubbed the horse capital of the world, so I think our conditions in the area are probably fine for keeping them, or certainly not worse than average. There is a huge equestrian complex that just went up and tons of feed stores, hay growers, etc. within a half hour drive in any direction. 👍🏼

One thing I didn’t ask about is manure management. Do you guys have a dedicated spot to put the poopy bedding and whatnot so it can age and then be used in your garden? I know about the issue with Grazon and would be sure to find out about that before buying hay.
Yes, horses poop. A lot. We don't typically clean up poop from the pasture but we do around the barn and in the stalls and aisleway. I have a big compost area that is about 20 ft x 20 ft. It started much smaller and has grown because I have quite a few animals that contribute to it (goats, chickens, ducks, and a bunny in addition to horses). It's very hot in the South so it doesn't take long to compost down...usually a few months. I do use it for gardening which is why I stick to organic and/or horse-friendly weed killer like 2 4-d. However if you are getting your hay from elsewhere and want to compost manure, be sure to ask what kind of fertilizer/weed killer they use on their fields. Also know that not all hay is created equal when it comes to horses. There's cow hay and horse hay. They are different so be sure to ask.

As far as manure management equipment, we have a good, ol wheelbarrow, a gorilla cart, a metal pitchfork, and plastic poop scoop, and a trash can to keep a big bag of hydrated lime. The lime can be sprinkled on areas of urine to break down the smell and somewhat sanitize the area.

Ocala is beautiful horse country. Can be expensive. It's a major winter training and competition destination for elite riders and race horses. Hay growers can command a premium price for these horses and that trickles down to recreational riders.
Manure management is key on small properties. How much land do you have? We had 3 horses on 1/4 acre in LA. Poop was a daily issue. An average horse produces 50# of poop a day. 50% moisture. If you bed the area, that can jump up to 75# a day. 2 horses can produce a wheelbarrow load each and every day. Can you stockpile it? (Property line setbacks...) Can you build enough compost bins? It will breakdown quickly but it's more than you can put on a garden. Do you have enough land to spread it? Do you have a grazing area?
Hauling off manure is how most have to deal with it when you are on less than 2 acres. You will find companies that will come haul it off for you. Some cities have composting facilities and will accept your donations. No good farmer will take it because the risk of introducing weeds is too high as they will spread directly. Put it in the trash as a last resort.

I hope all this information is helpful, sobering, but not scaring you away from horses. They are wonderful animals and we treat ours like they are beloved children. Horses and horse shows are what kept my oldest daughter in line when she was a rebellious teenager. She could care less about being grounded or losing phone privileges but if we threatened to ban her from riding, you'd have thought the world was ending. It taught her responsibility, attention to detail, and emotional intelligence. She is an expert at reading body language and maintaining persistence and patience. She is 28 yrs old and still rides every single day. She has also been thrown and injured more times than I care to remember. She was kicked square in the chest at 10 yrs old. It could have killed her. She has fallen off her horse and landed on jumps which nearly broke her back. She's fallen and had a horse land on top of her. Last year she had surgery to completely replace two crushed discs in her neck. All this from riding horses. She is not unsafe and she is a very, very good rider. These are just accidents that can happen. Riding...and in her case, jumping & eventing....can be a dangerous sport. It is also extremely rewarding to her self confidence and bond with her animals. She loves it so much that keeping her from it would break her spirit. It's part of who she is... My other children have all ridden and shown horses at one point or another too but for them it was just a phase. As their teenage social life began to form, the horses faded into the background. Both elderly mares (ages 23 & 25) I have right now were once show horses that my 18 yr old daughter HAD to have... Now I can barely get her to feed or even brush them. Her dad and I do it every day instead. Since they are older, I don't have the heart to sell them off so it's a lot of work and expense DAILY for something my youngest daughter has outgrown.

I don't say these things to scare you but for consideration to ensure you and your family understand the commitment you may be undertaking.

Well, you are definitely in Horse Country!

Be sure to check your local laws with regards to manure disposal.

Where I live, I simply make raised garden beds, improve my fields, and use it for snuffing out weeds on banks.

Oh, and get this. In the Fall and Spring, I sell it by the roadside for $3 a bag. I use my old chicken feed bags. I usually have people knocking on the door for more.

I only have 3 horses, so this is all done by hand and wheelbarrow. Although, a small tractor would probably save my energy for sure LOL!

I think it's great you are putting this much thought into to horse ownership. I absolutely love having horses and spending time with them.

Thank you all. This is such good info that only people with horses would think of! I’m glad I asked here.

I’m a realist so it’s not scaring me!

We have 4.5 acres and could probably fence off maybe a little under an acre in a rectangular shape for a shelter and dry lot. Part of that is wooded, part is in the sun but we would do like a three sided shelter in that sunny part I think, so they have more shade access.

We have what are basically trails on the property just from us walking certain paths on a regular basis. We are still working on infrastructure but I was thinking we could start purposely creating what would become riding trails around the perimeter so there is somewhere to work them outside of their specified area. Our neighborhood backs up to a state forest that we could probably access as well; I need to check on that still.

I have a spot in mind that would be basically between the horses and the garden where I could let the manure sit to break down where it’s out of the way of human activity. Lol A tractor is somewhere in our future but not sure where just yet! I’m already hauling chicken poop to where our banana ring will be with a wheelbarrow. Fun stuff. :sick

Oh Lord, Ocala is the new and upcoming horse scene in Florida I have been told, fast outpacing Wellington for attractiveness.
That means the prices will only go up from here.
I think Percheron summarized it best. It is pricey to keep a horse.
Many people keep a goat as a companion for their horse, it has been a common trick on race tracks to keep horses calm. Just don't get an intact buck....donkeys are very loud, your neighbors might not like that.
There are tons of good books around to get more info. The ones in the library might be too broad. There was one I saw years back 'horse keeping on small acreage' that might be helpful, I need to look if I can remember the author. She has penned a lot of books.
Other than that, grab a pony club manual. Still the gold standard in horse care literature. Also, see what the lesson barn can offer in terms of info.

The purchase price is the cheapest part of ownership! Especially when you plan on keeping them at home!

ETA: Cherry Hill is the author
https://www.amazon.com/Horsekeeping...t=&hvlocphy=9012839&hvtargid=pla-449792533651

Last edited:
Oh Lord, Ocala is the new and upcoming horse scene in Florida I have been told, fast outpacing Wellington for attractiveness.
That means the prices will only go up from here.
I think Percheron summarized it best. It is pricey to keep a horse.
Many people keep a goat as a companion for their horse, it has been a common trick on race tracks to keep horses calm. Just don't get an intact buck....donkeys are very loud, your neighbors might not like that.
There are tons of good books around to get more info. The ones in the library might be too broad. There was one I saw years back 'horse keeping on small acreage' that might be helpful, I need to look if I can remember the author. She has penned a lot of books.
Other than that, grab a pony club manual. Still the gold standard in horse care literature. Also, see what the lesson barn can offer in terms of info.

The purchase price is the cheapest part of ownership! Especially when you plan on keeping them at home!

ETA: Cherry Hill is the author
https://www.amazon.com/Horsekeeping...t=&hvlocphy=9012839&hvtargid=pla-449792533651
Thanks for the resources.

You guys who have mentioned the higher prices due to proximity to Ocala have a good point, although I think we are probably far enough that it’s not an issue (different county and more of an ag community rather than the more uppity horsey community, no offense intended by that), but I will definitely have that on my radar now. Real estate is getting ridiculous as you gomore toward Ocala from here, that much I do know.

Neighbors have a donkey like four lots down, I’m guessing it’s maybe 1600ft down the road and he is noisy! I think we would just get two horses rather than try to have a different species of companion animal with its own learning curve. There are 7 of us living here so two horses would still get worked often enough.

Maybe you could make an arrangement with one of them, to do stall-cleaning or other horse-related work in exchange for riding time.

Or arrange to help with chores at the place that provides riding lessons, even if they don't give any money or lessons in exchange.

Either way would give some experience in actually caring for a horse. Since you would typically spend more time caring for a horse than actually riding it, experience there might help you make a better decision about whether to own one. And the more you interact with horses, the more you will learn about what traits are important to you if you do buy a horse.

Back
Top Bottom