Considering horses

pinewoodacres

Songster
Oct 2, 2021
Levy County, Florida
Some questions for those of you familiar with keeping horses!

1. Are they social animals that absolutely need a companion (aka can I get only one or do I need two)?
  2. We have soft, dirty sand for our soil here in FL and it/they would really just be on our property or maybe on our limerock road depending on its condition at any given time. Are we just looking at hoof trimmings now and then? My understanding is they wouldn’t need shoes for those conditions.
  3. How much space per horse or pair of horses in a paddock if they are taken out and exercised at least a couple times a week? (Think how we calculate for coop and run space.)
  4. I know this varies, but feed costs? What do you prefer to feed (hay vs. packaged feed, etc.)?
  5. What other expenses should we consider aside from the initial build and tack? Any comments about the build and tack? Lol
  6. Anything else I didn’t mention but should be aware of?
My daughter has taken maybe 15 or so basic lessons and I’ve taken a couple but we’re definitely in the due diligence phase. She wants a horse and my feeling is that animals have to be worth their keep, so I’m really on the fence bc it seems expensive and time consuming, and I know it will end up being me keeping up with it/them.

Thanks!

I've owned horses for over 20 yrs and counting. I agree with a lot of the comments stated here. Three out of four of my children have ridden and shown horses competitively since they were 5 yrs old... One still does (she's 28 yrs old) and trains them as well. Here's my thoughts -

Horses are absolutely herd animals. They thrive on companionship and may develop mental issues if kept alone. Those mental issues can range from depression and failure to thrive to full blown neurotic behavior and bad habits like separation anxiety, cribbing, and more. If you don't want two horses, you have some options such as allowing someone else to board a horse at your place as a companion or looking at a smaller companion animal such as a donkey or pony. But for the health of the animal, you really do need a companion.

As someone already mentioned, horses are very expensive. I have 4 horses - 2 elderly mares who reside on my property at my house and 2 show horses who are boarded at a training barn. These costs listed below are ONLY for the 2 mares who are healthy so these don't include any emergency costs related to illness.
1. Feed - Feed prices have gone through the roof. I spend $30/bag on Triple Crown Senior and go through a 50# bag/week. You can probably get cheaper feed ($20/bag or less) provided your horse is an easy keeper without health issues. Horses that are ridden often need more calories, just like athletes. Others have a slower metabolism and need less. My daughter's horse only goes through 1 bag/month, for example. I also buy alfalfa pellets, rice bran, and supplements (MDM, Weight Accelerator, Garlic flakes, and Daily Gold), all of which adds about another $175/month.

2. Forage - horses MUST have adequate forage or they will die. Their GI system is built for forage. A good rule of thumb is to have 1 - 2 acres of pasture with grass per horse. If you don't have this much grass pasture, at a minimum, then you must make up the difference with hay. I try to seed my pasture so it grows rye grass in the winter and bermuda in the summer, but in the dead of winter all grass dies so I typically have to provide a bale of hay/day in forage from December - March. I buy my bales right out of the field for $7/bale. This doesn't count buying bales of alfalfa which provides great protein during the winter or as an occasional treat.
I also spray my pasture with a horse-safe weed killer to improve the grass I've seeded so it doesn't have to compete with weeds. I spent around $500 on grass seed and 2 4-d to improve the quality of my pastures. Again, this is a personal choice.

3. Routine care - my horses don't wear shoes because they are retired, are rarely ridden anymore, and I have thick grass pasture without a lot of rocks. However they still must get regular trimming of their hooves every 6 weeks. It's like you needing to trim your toenails regularly. Their hooves continue to grow and failure to trim properly and regularly can make a horse lame or even cause laminitis which can cause them to die in very severe cases. I pay $80 every 6 weeks for the farrier to trim my girls.

Vaccinations - just like your dogs or cats, horses should see a vet once a year and get their shots. Since we show, we also get Coggins blood test because it is required by law. I generally pay about $200/yr for vaccines and checkup.

Dewormer - horses pick up all kinds of worms through their foraging. I use a rotational deworming schedule every other month. Costs me anywhere from $10 - $30 every other month depending on the wormer.

Teeth floating - horses' teeth continue to grow their entire life. They get sharp edges which impacts their ability to eat. Their teeth need to be checked yearly and sharp edges filed down. This costs me about $80/horse.

Other practicalities -

Shelter - horses need a way to get out of bad weather. Be sure they have access to a barn, shed, or run-in to get out of wind, rain, sun, etc. Along with shelter comes bedding. I buy shavings and straw for our stalls. I buy around 20-30 bags per year at a minimum at $7/bag. My horses have free access to their stalls at all times but rarely stay in the barn unless there's bad weather or they are sick/injured and on stall rest.

Protection from cold - I buy horse blankets and sheets for my horses. Some people do not. This is a personal choice. Being in Florida, you can probably get away with just a lightweight sheet.

Protection against bugs - being a horse gets pretty itchy. I easily spend $50/month from May - October on fly spray and tick repellent.

Horse supplies - at a minimum, you'll need -
Halters, lead ropes, grooming supplies, water buckets, feed bowls, salt/mineral blocks, horse-focused first aid kit, hoof picks, and more. Order a magazine from Stateline Tack and it'll give you some ideas of basic needs.

Horse tack - if you want to ride, naturally you'll need saddle, bridle, bits, reins, saddle pads, etc. All of which can be very expensive. Ebay and Craigslist are your friends here....

In Florida, you're buying hay year round. Ruminants can get by on native pastures (mostly, although they won't be near as thick as they are with extra hay and feed or seeded, tended pasture) but horses will need a bit extra. Through most of Florida, you'll want them on a sand colic prevention supplement (psyllium or the like)

You'll be trimming feet every 6 weeks and have the vet out for basics - shots, teeth floating and the like - once a year, and budget for one unplanned visit a year as well. For a set up, know that horses are northern creatures. They actively feel hot if it's above 70, so you won't need a blanket, ever, but they WILL need access to well-ventilated shade 24/7. And I'm saying they because yes, they do need a friend.

You are absolutely right about the expensive and time consuming part. Honestly - and keep in mind this is coming from someone with 24 of the hay burners - stick with lessons. After a year or two of lessons, go for a lease, or half-lease. Don't bother buying one until you are seriously, hard-core into riding. All too often, people in a situation like yours get a horse or two, discover that you don't ride as much as you thought - or even as much as you did when you had to show up at a stable - and the horse starts getting sour, so you ride less, and then you have an expensive, unhappy and benignly neglected pasture pet doing a life sentence in your yard.

I had horses all my life, until about 5 years ago. I've run riding schools, trained many horses and ponies etc etc. Horses are rather complicated to keep healthy, they're VERY expensive to keep, and they can be very dangerous for the inexperienced (and the experienced, for that matter). Keeping horses is about 90% work for 10% riding/fun haha.

I would recommend spending longer on lessons, moving to a lease or shared-lease. I'd then recommend boarding your horse or pony somewhere so you have experienced advice on hand. After a couple of years by all means move forward with keeping a couple on your own land.

Are they social animals that absolutely need a companion (aka can I get only one or do I need two)?
In my opinion, yes they need a companion although it can be a small pony.
We have soft, dirty sand for our soil here in FL and it/they would really just be on our property or maybe on our limerock road depending on its condition at any given time. Are we just looking at hoof trimmings now and then? My understanding is they wouldn’t need shoes for those conditions.
I think it more depends on the individual horse, some have a lot tougher hooves then others.
What other expenses should we consider aside from the initial build and tack? Any comments about the build and tack? Lol
Vet costs, floating the teeth and a rug if needed.
The saddle will need to be fitted by someone with experience.
My daughter has taken maybe 15 or so basic lessons and I’ve taken a couple but we’re definitely in the due diligence phase.
To me it sounds like a few more lessons before committing would not be a bad thing, and make sure that there's someone with experience to help you out.

I would say they absolutely need a companion (a mini or a donkey will do!), although if you already have cows or a similar large grazing animal you may be able to get away without this. I personally would allocate at least an acre and a half per horse, but that's on good pasture.

Unfortunately if your land quality is poor, unless you have significant acreage, you will run into land management issues and having to ensure constant feed which = more work + cost all year round. There may be breeds better suited to this, but I really don't know which would work best in your environment honestly.

I got my first horse when I was 13 so I know exactly where your daughter is at. Had her until I was 43.Got my second 10 months later. Granted I did not have the distractions kids have these days but there are tons of lessons they can teach you. Responsibility, assertiveness, body language, perseverance, budgeting (I had to pay for my second horse), independence... But that's not what you asked about.
Horses are herd animals and want to be with other horses. You don't necessarily need a companion animal if the neighbors have horses and some companion horses absolutely flip out when they are left at home. (Personal experience)
In sandy Ca, we never shod the horses and they were ridden hard. You should need minimal hoof care if the horse has nice hooves and is worked regularly.
In central Ca my pen was probably 60x60. When I moved to LA, it was 12x24. In Ga, she had a 12x12 stall. In Co, she had 40 acres. Horse keeping varies greatly across the country and for the most part they adjust just fine. Land prices and parcel size along with zoning will dictate how big your pen can be. Shade and airflow are more important in the south than size but I would never go smaller than 12x48. Enough room to move around in. Make it rectangular not square.
Hay (long stem forage) should always be the cornerstone of the equine diet. Hay provides multiple heath and mental benefits over a pelleted ration. Grains and concentrates should only fill in the nutritional gaps of the hay. Hay prices are regional but right now I am paying $275-300/ton. Normal summer hay prices are closer to $140/ton. Twice the norm. I'm scared to see what we will be paying in Feb.
I would do nothing more than a pipe corral with a shelter. Don't need a barn, don't need a stall. Drive around the neighborhood and see how they are housing the horses. Stop and talk with them. What works? What would they do different?
Manure disposal? Hay storage? Truck is a minimum for hauling hay and feed. Trailer? Lots of fun to trailer to the beach and all kids go through the show/gymkhana phase. You should consider a lease option to get your feet wet. If you have some local boarding facilities you might be able to find someone who is looking for some financial assistance by part leasing their horse out 2-3 days a week. Typically the arrangement is pay a set fee and you have exclusive use of the horse certain days. The owner pays board and vet bills. You might split farrier bill. I would insist on lessons (you pay). Around me a part lease runs $250+ a month. Cost will go up with better trained horses and nicer facilities.

The best part of owning horses at a young age for me was the one on one time that my dad and I spent together. He taught me how to use tools and build things amongst other things. Skills everyone needs. Horses can be very time consuming but as my dad always said he knew exactly where I was and what I was up to when he couldn't find me. Long before cell phones of course.

Horses are a HUGE commitment not only in time but also monetarily. If you do decided on getting horses, you need to be prepared to be able to care for the animals for potentially over 20 years (horses can live up to around 30 years).

1.) Horses are herd animals and definitely need at least one equine companion. There are exceptions to the rule of course, some horses are raised alone and prefer it that way, but that's not super common.
2. As far as hooves go, it really depends on the horse itself. Some horses have really crummy feet and need shoes no matter what the ground is like. My horse for instance has very thin soles, so even though hes retired and not being ridden still needs shoes to be comfortable. Keep in mind your horse/s will need their feet done every 8 weeks at probably around $120 a shoeing.
3. Horses do better in a larger pen or pasture. If you put them in a pen/stall that's to small and don't turn them out or work them often enough, they can develop some bad habits like cribbing or weaving, and can be pretty destructive. I don't think there's a square footage that's recommended like with chickens, but more is better.
4. Feed prices add up very fast! Not sure what hay prices are in Florida, but in CA we're currently looking at around $28 to $30 a bale for either grass or alfalfa. If you're feeding strait hay/alfalfa you'll be going though 1 to 1.5 bales a week, and depending on your area you might need to add supplements to make up for mineral deficiencies.
5. Buying the horse will be the cheapest part of the whole deal. Saddles, bridles, grooming supplies, fly spary, wormer, etc. will be nearly a constant thing. Not to mention the biyearly vet visits for shots and checkups. You also should consider that your horse will need to have their teeth floated ever 1.5 to 2 years. Also you can't forget you will need a truck and trailer that can transport your horse around.

In short horses are a very fun hobby, but also an expensive and time consuming one. To put it in perspective I spend aprox. 1/4 of my annual income on my 1 retired horse.

When i was growing up the fact that my parents leased a horse for me helped us ease into it and learn a lot in the process. If you are unsure about the time and money commitment, leasing it an easy option without going all in, and gives you some time to see if its something you really want to invest in.

I hope all this information is helpful, sobering, but not scaring you away from horses. They are wonderful animals and we treat ours like they are beloved children. Horses and horse shows are what kept my oldest daughter in line when she was a rebellious teenager. She could care less about being grounded or losing phone privileges but if we threatened to ban her from riding, you'd have thought the world was ending. It taught her responsibility, attention to detail, and emotional intelligence. She is an expert at reading body language and maintaining persistence and patience. She is 28 yrs old and still rides every single day. She has also been thrown and injured more times than I care to remember. She was kicked square in the chest at 10 yrs old. It could have killed her. She has fallen off her horse and landed on jumps which nearly broke her back. She's fallen and had a horse land on top of her. Last year she had surgery to completely replace two crushed discs in her neck. All this from riding horses. She is not unsafe and she is a very, very good rider. These are just accidents that can happen. Riding...and in her case, jumping & eventing....can be a dangerous sport. It is also extremely rewarding to her self confidence and bond with her animals. She loves it so much that keeping her from it would break her spirit. It's part of who she is... My other children have all ridden and shown horses at one point or another too but for them it was just a phase. As their teenage social life began to form, the horses faded into the background. Both elderly mares (ages 23 & 25) I have right now were once show horses that my 18 yr old daughter HAD to have... Now I can barely get her to feed or even brush them. Her dad and I do it every day instead. Since they are older, I don't have the heart to sell them off so it's a lot of work and expense DAILY for something my youngest daughter has outgrown.

I don't say these things to scare you but for consideration to ensure you and your family understand the commitment you may be undertaking.

Our neighbor two parcels down is a farrier and they’ve got horses, plus a friend of ours on the next road over who we are friendlier with. I could try to see what they’ve got going on as far as housing and setup and ask about current hay prices.

Maybe you could make an arrangement with one of them, to do stall-cleaning or other horse-related work in exchange for riding time.

Or arrange to help with chores at the place that provides riding lessons, even if they don't give any money or lessons in exchange.

Either way would give some experience in actually caring for a horse. Since you would typically spend more time caring for a horse than actually riding it, experience there might help you make a better decision about whether to own one. And the more you interact with horses, the more you will learn about what traits are important to you if you do buy a horse.

Back
Top Bottom