Considering horses

I'm not sure if anyone has suggested this yet, but it might be a good idea to enroll your daughter in 4-H and lease a horse before going through with a purchase. She would learn everything she needed to know about horses by having a project and being guided by a mentor (usually your club advisor can recommend reputable trainers in your area and pair her with a mentor). You would learn about all the horse's needs too by helping her and attending lessons and events with her, have the benefit of taking more lessons on a good broke horse with way less responsibility in the beginning, and gain valuable veterinary/blacksmith/feed and hay supply contacts for when you are actually ready to purchase your own. You might even be able to purchase the horse that you lease if you find the right person (and horse). It would definitely help you know what you're getting into!

Really appreciate all the candid feedback! ☺️ We are at least 2-3 years out from doing anything so that gives me time to further research all that was shared here.

Our neighbor two parcels down is a farrier and they’ve got horses, plus a friend of ours on the next road over who we are friendlier with. I could try to see what they’ve got going on as far as housing and setup and ask about current hay prices.

Our sandy soil is actually not bad as far as fertility but I would expect to bring in 100% of their hay as part of my estimations on cost and time (and logistics).

I’m about 30 minutes NW of Ocala, which is dubbed the horse capital of the world, so I think our conditions in the area are probably fine for keeping them, or certainly not worse than average. There is a huge equestrian complex that just went up and tons of feed stores, hay growers, etc. within a half hour drive in any direction. 👍🏼

One thing I didn’t ask about is manure management. Do you guys have a dedicated spot to put the poopy bedding and whatnot so it can age and then be used in your garden? I know about the issue with Grazon and would be sure to find out about that before buying hay.

Really appreciate all the candid feedback! ☺️ We are at least 2-3 years out from doing anything so that gives me time to further research all that was shared here.

Our neighbor two parcels down is a farrier and they’ve got horses, plus a friend of ours on the next road over who we are friendlier with. I could try to see what they’ve got going on as far as housing and setup and ask about current hay prices.

Our sandy soil is actually not bad as far as fertility but I would expect to bring in 100% of their hay as part of my estimations on cost and time (and logistics).

I’m about 30 minutes NW of Ocala, which is dubbed the horse capital of the world, so I think our conditions in the area are probably fine for keeping them, or certainly not worse than average. There is a huge equestrian complex that just went up and tons of feed stores, hay growers, etc. within a half hour drive in any direction. 👍🏼

One thing I didn’t ask about is manure management. Do you guys have a dedicated spot to put the poopy bedding and whatnot so it can age and then be used in your garden? I know about the issue with Grazon and would be sure to find out about that before buying hay.
Well, you are definitely in Horse Country!

Be sure to check your local laws with regards to manure disposal.

Where I live, I simply make raised garden beds, improve my fields, and use it for snuffing out weeds on banks.

Oh, and get this. In the Fall and Spring, I sell it by the roadside for $3 a bag. I use my old chicken feed bags. I usually have people knocking on the door for more.

I only have 3 horses, so this is all done by hand and wheelbarrow. Although, a small tractor would probably save my energy for sure LOL!

I think it's great you are putting this much thought into to horse ownership. I absolutely love having horses and spending time with them.

Thank you all. This is such good info that only people with horses would think of! I’m glad I asked here.

I’m a realist so it’s not scaring me!

We have 4.5 acres and could probably fence off maybe a little under an acre in a rectangular shape for a shelter and dry lot. Part of that is wooded, part is in the sun but we would do like a three sided shelter in that sunny part I think, so they have more shade access.

We have what are basically trails on the property just from us walking certain paths on a regular basis. We are still working on infrastructure but I was thinking we could start purposely creating what would become riding trails around the perimeter so there is somewhere to work them outside of their specified area. Our neighborhood backs up to a state forest that we could probably access as well; I need to check on that still.

I have a spot in mind that would be basically between the horses and the garden where I could let the manure sit to break down where it’s out of the way of human activity. Lol A tractor is somewhere in our future but not sure where just yet! I’m already hauling chicken poop to where our banana ring will be with a wheelbarrow. Fun stuff. :sick
4.5 acres to work with makes management much easier.
Rethink how to maximize the property.
I would fence off the trees as the turn out area. Eliminates the majority of the scooping you have to do if they're out the majority of the day. You can still use it as a "hiking" area and haven't lost any land. With a state forest next door, that will become your trail riding area. You will have miles to ride on while you can loop your property in 10 minutes. No competition. The horses will hide in the trees in the hottest part of the day and be happiest. Have a dry lot area about 40x60 with a loafing shed, hay storage, water and hay. Gives you a place to lock them up and you're saving 3/4 of an acre. That gives you room for have an arena (100x200 is 1/2 acre) or even a large roundpen 60-100'. You can easily keep an eye on the kids from the house.
I would spread the poop out in the trees. Encourage some grass growth, reduce the fly larvae by allowing it to dry out and get it as far away from the house as possible. I dump a few loads of poop in the chicken run to give them some entertainment and they do a fine job getting it ready for the garden.

Last edited:
1. Yes horses are herd animals therefore they do need a companion.

2. It sounds like your footing is okay but, It depends on how good your horses hooves are. some horses need shoes just due to bad feet.

3. depends. are doing a paddock, stalls?

4. ideally you should be feeding both If you horse is in heavy work, but If your not doing much work a hay diet if okay as well but horses NEED to have fresh grass!

5. Horses are expensive... vet bills, supplements, getting there teeth done, the trailer, dewormer, vaccinations, etc.

6. IMO I feel you should wait a bit until you are a bit more experienced with horses just so you can learn a bit more:)

Last edited:
We had a pony, and we had goats that kept him company, he even befriended a boy bunny that we let run around his pen.

As far as myself, I am not a horse, pony person, (accidents on them) and I considered my self pretty skilled. Nope, I am sticking with chickens.

Yes, horses poop. A lot. We don't typically clean up poop from the pasture but we do around the barn and in the stalls and aisleway. I have a big compost area that is about 20 ft x 20 ft. It started much smaller and has grown because I have quite a few animals that contribute to it (goats, chickens, ducks, and a bunny in addition to horses). It's very hot in the South so it doesn't take long to compost down...usually a few months. I do use it for gardening which is why I stick to organic and/or horse-friendly weed killer like 2 4-d. However if you are getting your hay from elsewhere and want to compost manure, be sure to ask what kind of fertilizer/weed killer they use on their fields. Also know that not all hay is created equal when it comes to horses. There's cow hay and horse hay. They are different so be sure to ask.

As far as manure management equipment, we have a good, ol wheelbarrow, a gorilla cart, a metal pitchfork, and plastic poop scoop, and a trash can to keep a big bag of hydrated lime. The lime can be sprinkled on areas of urine to break down the smell and somewhat sanitize the area.

Compost worms loooooove horse poop. You could set up a worm composting winrow system and that would get you a valuable end product either for your own gardens or to sell.
When I finally get back into horses I'll likely put in a system just like @Percheron chick outlined above. The grass here in this climate (wet, humid = very high quality forage ideal for dairy cows) is not at all good for horse's digestive systems so they will have to live in a dry lot with hay, with carefully managed turnout.

Back
Top Bottom