Question about Silkie Chicks.

Chickenbreederboy

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 9, 2008
Picayune, MS
I have always, ever since i saw them, been in love with the Silkie breed and the first breed that came to mind when my mom helped me convince my dad to build be a couple breeding pens was the Silkies. Well, i started looking around to see if i could get some nice quality birds in this area without having to raise them from bities. Well, the man that whose number i was given was too far away from me, but thats irrelevant. Anyways, he started talking to me about chickens and all, and he mentioned the difficulty there was in raising Silkie chicks. Puzzled, i asked him what he meant and he said that Silkie chick's immune systems were very poor, requiring constant care and tending. He said that if you didn't keep them on antibiotics, that they would die. He said that if i could get one or two to 6 weeks old without them dying out of a whole clutch, that i would be counted as lucky. This saddens me, because although i love the breed, it would seem that such hourly care would not be worth it in the end. I have never met this man, so i don't know whether he's being truthful or exxagerating. And since i've never heard this about silkies before, i wondered if the people here could help me out. Is this right???

hu.gif
Never heard of it. Granted, I've only been in to chickens for 2+ years and had silkies for most of it, but that's new on me!

i use medicated crumbles, but thats as far as i've gone with any chicks including silkies. out of my last batch of 45 I lost 1. I don't know what he's talking about.

i think he's trying to scam you or something. silkies are super fighters in everything, the reason i believe that their higher in price and harder to find is because they're generally sparse egg layers. Get your silkies and if your really wooried about them getting sick you can get some antibiotics to put in their water, or mcmurray sells vaccines good luck!

I've never had a problem with silkies AND it is not a good idea to feed antibiotics for a "what if" situation. They should only be administered if there is a legitimate problem that requires them. Get your silkies from somebody else for sure!

oh, i thought he was buying from that guy, o well no the post above is right only give it to them if they need it, in which the case of that breeders chickens they sound like they need it.

Back
Top Bottom