1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

question about silkies

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kmatt87, Jan 22, 2013.

1. kmatt87

kmatt87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    i have a couple reg sized silkie chicks coming and don't know much about them. How high are they able to get off the ground to roost? My roost is about 3 ft off the ground, should i make a ladder for them to roost on?

My nesting boxes are also at least 3 ft up. I have room under them. Is something the size of a gallon ice cream bucket big enough for them to lay in or should i make it bigger? I know the hens are only supposed to get to about 3lbs.....

2. randadell

randadell Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2012
    Louisiana
    I appreciate you asking these questions, I will soon be adding two silkies to my yard and had similar questions I was going to ask.

3. kmatt87

Apr 13, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    you're welcome. I'm adding 2 myself. :)

4. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    by reg size do you mean large fowl?

I have had two bantum silkies and neither ever roosted. While some do it is pretty common for them not to. They tend to like to sleep on the floor. Mine can use a ramp but not a ladder and do not seem to be capable of jumping onto anything taller than their own chest. Anything over their head is not possible.

5. kmatt87

Apr 13, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    yes. i just don't consider silkies to be large in any way. lol.

6. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I believe they come in bantam and large but the bantam is far more common. I have yet to ever see a large fowl.

7. kmatt87

Apr 13, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    i believe i'm getting some large ones. When i placed my order they didn't ask if i wanted the bantams. I'll update that when i get them on the 1st.

8. randadell

randadell Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2012
    Louisiana
    mine are still in the eggs at my friends farm, Im hoping for one black and one white.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by