Question about sitting and if/when to pull into incubator

hamsweetfarm

Hatching
6 Years
May 28, 2013
Williamston, MI
Hey Everyone,

First off, thanks for anyone's time that I get. I wish I had more to offer the community other than questions right now, but I'm still learning all this stuff.

I've plowed through as many of the threads as i can, however, I'm still a little unclear as to what/if I should do anything regarding my two Slate hens laying and not sitting. We're up to about 19 eggs between the two girls and I've not seen a ton of sitting from them. I'm concerned that they won't sit, as they are a little over a year old and were hatched in an incubator.

So, do I pull the eggs into a incubator? Do i leave them? I'm hoping to have a nice little flock running around, and would love to preserve natural breeding if possible, but also need to be pragmatic about the potential loss of birds and even money.

Thanks as always!

Christian

Regardless if they were hatched in an incubator. That doesn't determine if they will go broody or not. I have hens that were laying at 1 year old as well.

Sounds like you have a good problem. If you are having reservations if they will sit or not, you can always remove half of them and incubate them. At least you will know that 1/2 of the eggs will have at least a chance at being incubated while it is uncertain what will happen to the remaining eggs. If the hen sets, this will be great. If not, then you will at least have "some" eggs to hatch and have babies.

Sounds like you are thinking in the right direction about the possibilities.

That's what I would do if I were you.

Back
Top Bottom