question about size of coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by turnerstar31, Jan 5, 2008.

1. turnerstar31

turnerstar31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Well I am planning on getting a new coop and making it a 10x12. My chickens are in another barn but they are somewhat exposed to the elements so I want to get them sometime a little more sheltered from the cold. I was wondering how many that you think that I could fit in there. It would only really be for the night and for them to lay because they are out the rest of the time free ranging and such. Right now I have about 25 so I am not sure if I should go a little bigger or not.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

They say 4 sqft per standard sized bird, but in cold climates, where they can still get out and range, I know some push 3 sqft so they are tighter packed.

3. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    I think the general rule is 4 sq ft per bird,

so you should be fine [​IMG]

4. turnerstar31

turnerstar31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    thanks it would only really be for them to sleep but ugh me and getting more I should prolly think about making it bigger but I think for now it is a good start who knows.

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Make it bigger if you can - more space is always good - and around here we have some bad days and my girls hardly come out at all, even though their door is open.

(mine is 20X8 with 14 chickens)

6. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    MAKE IT BIGGER You know you will end up with more chickens. Plus you want room for feed, feeders, waterers, and such. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by