Question about slimy eggs

TJAnonymous

Enabler
Feb 29, 2020
Central Arkansas
I have a question I've always wondered about.... I've noticed that many times when I collect eggs they are slimy with sticky clear goo (egg whites?) or yolk on the outside. When this first happened, I panicked and thought one of my chickens was egg bound. I have a lot of chickens (35+ laying hens) so it is impossible to know who is sliming the eggs. I can confirm that no eggs are broken or cracked. The sliminess seems to happen when the hen is laying a perfectly normal egg. No one is sick or acting strange (penguin waddle). My girls all appear to be perfectly healthy. I'm curious to know how many other people experience this?

I have chickens who eat eggs and I know what you’re talking about. It’s hard to break a habit like this but try to collect them a often as you can.

How can you tell? What might I see if it is just heavy bloom?
Well, first look for broken egg remains in the nest bedding.
If you don't find any, the slime you are seeing may be heavy bloom.
Heavy bloom is more noticeable if you gather the eggs soon after they are laid.
When an egg is first laid it is wet with bloom, some dry almost immediately,
some take much longer and can pick up pieces of bedding and/or dirt.
I've seen them where they have a distinct 'drip' outline even after drying.

Well, first look for broken egg remains in the nest bedding.
If you don't find any, the slime you are seeing may be heavy bloom.
Heavy bloom is more noticeable if you gather the eggs soon after they are laid.
When an egg is first laid it is wet with bloom, some dry almost immediately,
some take much longer and can pick up pieces of bedding and/or dirt.
I've seen them where they have a distinct 'drip' outline even after drying.
OP mentioned seeing egg yolk too

My best guess would be an egg eater. I have one bird who often lays a soft shell egg. They get plenty of oyster shells. I have seen other birds break it open then run with it like they have a prize. Gooey is left in the nest box and on other eggs.

Sometimes there is clearly yellow slime. Not a fully intact yolk. Here's an example from eggs I collected yesterday.

20210527_100949.jpg

However it isn't always yellow. Sometimes it is just a clear glob. The nesting material is usually wet when I find these things. No obvious egg shell remnants that I see.

Back
Top Bottom