Question about 'sort of' free ranging our chickens

mamajudes

In the Brooder
May 12, 2019
We have a coop, we have a run, but I wondered if we let the chickens out in the back yard for an hour or two every day if this is a good idea or not.
If I let them out, will they come back to the run on their own, or will I have to try to catch them when I want them to come back? Currently, we have a routine with them.....when I open the coop door in the morning, they file out and start the day. They come in and out all they want to. In the evening, when we go out to the run, they file into the coop for the night. It's actually pretty adorable.....
But, IF I decided to give them a few hours a day to free range, is that a good idea? Or should we just leave it like it is and just give them the run as they want it.
They are young and have not starting laying eggs yet.
Thanks in advance for any advice on this. We are very new to this whole thing. :)

You can encourage them to return to the coop at dusk by putting a light inside the coop that they can see, they will be drawn to it. A flashlight or LED lantern works well temporarily. Once they get used to it they will just go in at dusk, any new change to their routine can come with an adjustment period while they figure it out. The only caution I have is that if they are not in your run, they are more at risk from predators, so be aware. Free ranging doesn't come without risk, especially if they are juveniles. Hawks, cats, dogs, foxes, etc. I'm not saying don't do it, just understand the risks. Mine free range during daylight hours.

Mine stay in a coop and run most of the time, but I let them out to free range SUPERVISED for an hour or two, or however long I'm willing to stay outside where I can keep an eye out. Sometimes I have to cajole or bribe them to come back in if they are enjoying themselves or if I want to go inside too soon, but most of the time, they tend to get bored after about an hour or so, and meander back to the coop on their own. And if it's close to bed time, they ALWAYS go back in the coop for sundown, all by themselves. Note that I have a large property but the chickens area is surrounded by electric poultry fence. This means that the primary predators they have to watch out for, are hawks.

When I let my first Flock out to Free range. I let them out 2 hours before sunset daily. Near sunset they headed toward the coop into the fence. I had to show them the gate to get to the coop. Some caught on quickly. Others took a week or more, before realising they need to go through the gate, to get to the coop.
Letting them out late afternoon, evening, they head to the coop around sunset.
When I go to lockup the coop after sunset, everyone is on the roost. I turn off the nightlight and lockup. GC

I let my girls out every day into my fenced yard. They have a coop and run. I supervise. I am very fortunate in that the only daytime predator I have to worry about are hawks, and the red shouldered hawks that were frequenting my area seem to have moved on. There is definitely a risk of predation. You will have to weigh the pros and cons based on your area.

My girls were brooded in their coop, so it is definitely their home, and they return to it every night without prompting. When I want them to go back in their pen, I grab treats and put them in a dish in the run. They all come running in! I've got them to the point where they follow me in the run even if I don't have treats. Sometimes I will just put pellets in their treat dish and they still think they are getting something exciting. Silly birds!

Just be warned: once they get a taste of that freedom, they will always want out! My girls are much happier out than in, and it is more fun to watch them in the yard.

Some have said that their birds did a number on their landscaping, but I've not had that problem. My grass is even better now with the free fertilizer! My lawn is better with them than without. Of course I only have 5 pullets on an acre...

Last edited:
It is no big deal if you can wait for dark for them to go back, they will do this naturally. The trick is if you need to put them away unexpectedly in the day times. A couple of ways will work, put a bit of scratch and shake it and call something for a couple of days, before letting them out, shake and call and throw it on the floor of the run.

Most of the time that is all you need, and they will come running to get the treat. However, once in a while, you will get some that won't come. If so take a long stick or broom handle and place yourself so that the chickens are between you and the coop. Step toward the chickens tapping the ground, saying "hut, hut". The moment your chickens move away from you toward the coop, you stop, wait till they stop, and take a few steps again.... if one gets by you let it go. The trick is not to chase them and get them riled up, just encourage the drift towards the run, and if there is a treat inside, most will go right in. This is a case where slow IS FASTER.

mrs K

IF I decided to give them a few hours a day to free range, is that a good idea? Or should we just leave it like it is and just give them the run as they want it.

This is a decision each owner needs to make for themselves. Are you willing to take some losses to predators as chickens are more vulnerable outside the run than in? Do you have a garden, landscaping or a nice patio and don't want the chickens getting into it? Do you have a pet dog that could possibly get to the chickens if they're out and about? Weigh the pros and cons and decide from there.

Back
Top Bottom