Question About Square Footage Needed For Ducks

UrbanMama

Gone Country....
11 Years
Sep 27, 2008
Massachusetts
Why is it the only dimensions I can find on google are for the brooder??
roll.png

So my question is, what is the square footage needed for ducks? I know with chickens it's a minimum of 4 square feet in the coop and 10 in the yard per bird...is it the same for ducks? (All smaller ducks...Khaki Campbells, Magpies and Cayugas)

I'm starting to plan our duck house/yard and just want to make sure they have adequate space to be happy and healthy.
love.gif

Hi neighbor!

Some, like the great Dave Holderread, will allow even for a min. of 10 sq. ft. per bird in the yard. But he wouldn't call that ideal at all!!

Nor would this rookie.

In commercial settings, I think this is Holderread again, with large flocks, some will go to 75 sq. ft. per bird; 40 sq. ft. is a safe number.

You can't give too much room really, but too little is a possibility. Mine currently have about 90; and in the future our main flock of Harlequins will have 40.

Overcrowding must be avoided at all costs--especially if birds aren't free ranging at all.

peace!

Thanks guys!

It's good to have an idea of what I'll need so I can start planning everything out. I may end up coming up with a different chicken coop and just using the A-frame I made for the ducks....

But then it may be hard to seperate them by breed....
barnie.gif
decisions decisions!
lau.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom