question about storing duck eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Martinboyds, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Martinboyds

Martinboyds Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2008
    Hi I'm brand new at raising ducks. Mine are 16 weeks old and of course I expect them to start laying before too long. Could anybody tell me how to store duck eggs do they fit in regular egg cartons or do I need special cartons? I have khaki campbells fawn and white runners and pekins. Any and all info on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Dave from Md

2. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I'm not sure about those kinds of ducks, but a jumbo egg container should work? Mine came in one... then I hatched 'em. [​IMG]

3. Gloria

Gloria Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine just hit 20 weeks old. I guess we'll be finding out real soon here.

4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Depending where you live, we just leave ours outside during the winter. If temperatures stay under 40, it's as good a refrigerator as any.

5. Martinboyds

Martinboyds Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2008
    Thanks for the input. Dave

6. mbrown

mbrown Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2008
    North Florida
    My Khaki Campbell and Rouen eggs fit in a regular egg carton. They are similiar in size to a jumbo chicken egg.

Here's a photo of some of my duck eggs if it helps any. Next time I'll put a chicken egg next to them so you can see the difference...but it's not much of a difference.

[​IMG]

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Just got my first egg. It was the size of a jumbo chicken egg. It fit in a jumbo egg carton just fine. I THINK my runner laid it, but I am not 100% sure.

8. streemers

streemers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    port orchard,WA
    my blue swedish lays really big eggs ang it is hard to close a jumbo chicken egg box. guess we gotta wait and see.....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by