Question about tame turkey hens...

SarahGfa

Crowing
6 Years
Jan 26, 2018
Male turkeys will eat out of my hand and let me handle them without much work, but I can't seem to make any progress with the hens, mine are like feral. There is one hen I've had for 3 years and she will eat out of a bowl that I am holding, but will not let me touch her.

Question for those with tame turkey hens, how did you do it? Imprint as a poult? or are certain varieties naturally tame?

Male turkeys will eat out of my hand and let me handle them without much work, but I can't seem to make any progress with the hens, mine are like feral. There is one hen I've had for 3 years and she will eat out of a bowl that I am holding, but will not let me touch her.

Question for those with tame turkey hens, how did you do it? Imprint as a poult? or are certain varieties naturally tame?
Thread 'Tribute to @memphis and her Lapper turkeys' https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tribute-to-memphis-and-her-lapper-turkeys.1421335/

It sounds like memphis had the blue turkey hen sitting on her lap on the very first day. I wish I could ask her how she did that.

If my hen was in someone's yard, I don't think I would be able to catch her without a net.

It sounds like memphis had the blue turkey hen sitting on her lap on the very first day. I wish I could ask her how she did that.

If my hen was in someone's yard, I don't think I would be able to catch her without a net.
She got her Bourbon Red hen Annie as an adult that had not been imprinted. She was a professional in showing dogs and used many of her dog techniques with her turkeys. She brought in other turkeys once Annie passed on. It's a long read but worthwhile.

As a new turkey owner she asked the right questions throughout her journey with her turkeys.

A hundred pages in... (First thing I did wrong is I forgot to give my turkeys names.)
I'm still reading, it's like a book I can't put down. Does anyone know what happened to Daisy? What an amazing turkey.

Mine were imprinted, but even imprinting isn't a guarantee. I have 7 turkey hens who are all imprinted, and only 3 of them actively seek my company anymore. They all did when they were babies, but after a certain age most of them grew disinterested. Harper is my friendliest one, who will crawl in my lap when I sit down. Egret will sit in my lap if I put her there, but she also constantly just squats next to me. Budgie likes to come over and softly peck at me and be touched but she doesnt usually sit in my lap.

The other hens, 2 of them very rarely want anything to do with me (They tolerate being handled, but they move away from me), 1 I think is more shy bc her vision is worse now and I think being touched at all spooks her, and the other one will sit sometimes if I grab her but I think she got fed up with being babied lol.

If you could figure out how to tame one down past imprint age I think that would be the best way.

Mine were imprinted, but even imprinting isn't a guarantee. I have 7 turkey hens who are all imprinted, and only 3 of them actively seek my company anymore. They all did when they were babies, but after a certain age most of them grew disinterested. Harper is my friendliest one, who will crawl in my lap when I sit down. Egret will sit in my lap if I put her there, but she also constantly just squats next to me. Budgie likes to come over and softly peck at me and be touched but she doesnt usually sit in my lap.

The other hens, 2 of them very rarely want anything to do with me (They tolerate being handled, but they move away from me), 1 I think is more shy bc her vision is worse now and I think being touched at all spooks her, and the other one will sit sometimes if I grab her but I think she got fed up with being babied lol.

If you could figure out how to tame one down past imprint age I think that would be the best way.
Aren't some of your turkeys house turkeys?

My turkeys were the same way as yours. Friendly and curious as poults, then disinterested as they got older. They used to come check out everything I was doing, but I feel like they are too busy for me now.

Aren't some of your turkeys house turkeys?

My turkeys were the same way as yours. Friendly and curious as poults, then disinterested as they got older. They used to come check out everything I was doing, but I feel like they are too busy for me now.
I have exactly 1 house turkey haha. she's the most skiddish one i have, but i think it's because her vision has worsened and so the movement towards her makes her jumpy (especially since she was used to getting picked on by the other girls before moving in). Here's hoping you can get some of memphis' tips to work if you use them lol

Back
Top Bottom