Question about tame turkey hens...

I have exactly 1 house turkey haha. she's the most skiddish one i have, but i think it's because her vision has worsened and so the movement towards her makes her jumpy (especially since she was used to getting picked on by the other girls before moving in). Here's hoping you can get some of memphis' tips to work if you use them lol
Seems like it's critical to get them isolated and feeling safe, in order to tame them. The more they get picked on or scared by predators, the more feral/fearful. I worry that confining a turkey in a small space will make them feel anxious, though.

They still need a big area even when confined.
Define "big". I had my hen in 10x50 run and she kept pacing back and forth trying to escape. It looks like memphis kept her turkeys in a dog kennel with solid walls, so maybe solid walls made them less anxious.

Define "big". I had my hen in 10x50 run and she kept pacing back and forth trying to escape. It looks like memphis kept her turkeys in a dog kennel with solid walls, so maybe solid walls made them less anxious.
Memphis kept them there at night. During the daytime they were out with her.

The run my turkeys are in is 50' x 100'. I do not put them in the coop once they are big enough to not be attractive to the Great Horned owls.

Memphis kept them there at night. During the daytime they were out with her.

The run my turkeys are in is 50' x 100'. I do not put them in the coop once they are big enough to not be attractive to the Great Horned owls.
Right, but memphis kept the turkeys in the dog kennel all day after she first brought them back, to get them tame and comfortable with her. Right?
Normally my turkeys are in a 2 acre yard, and some sleep in a coop at night (by choice). But they want nothing to do with humans, and if I try to hang out with them they move to the other side of the yard.

I like that my turkeys act like turkeys instead of pets.

In order to tame adult turkeys, you have to spend lots of time with them. Set up a pen, put a chair in there and sit with them. Have some treats handy and make them come to you for them. Do not chase or try to catch them.

I like that my turkeys act like turkeys instead of pets.

In order to tame adult turkeys, you have to spend lots of time with them. Set up a pen, put a chair in there and sit with them. Have some treats handy and make them come to you for them. Do not chase or try to catch them.
My turkeys don't have to act like pets, but it would make life so much easier if I could just walk up to one and pick it up, ya know? You said that you herded your turkey 1/4 mile when it flew off the reservation... wouldn't it be quicker and less embarrassing if you could pick it up and plop it in a car? :)

My turkeys don't have to act like pets, but it would make life so much easier if I could just walk up to one and pick it up, ya know? You said that you herded your turkey 1/4 mile when it flew off the reservation... wouldn't it be quicker and less embarrassing if you could pick it up and plop it in a car? :)
I am fine with not being able to walk up to one of my turkeys and not being able to pick them up.

I don't mind that they stand at the gate and holler for me when they want back in the pen. It helps that the only manufactured food is in the coop. They can get water from the goldfish pond in addition to the water in the coop.

It is nice that I can herd them with a single stick now. If I need to catch them, I herd them into the coop.

It is also nice that I can work outside without them being underfoot and in the way.

You can read many posts on here where people talk about their turkeys inspecting their work and walking off with tools. I like not having to deal with that.

Last edited:
You can read many posts on here where people talki about their turkeys inspecting their work and walking off with tools. I like not having to deal with that.
OH that's cute! I had a young jake who brought home a random set of house keys. Did he find them on the road? Did he steal them? I was mortified because I had no idea he ever left the yard. We eventually had to cull him for attacking random ppl :( He was a lot of fun while he lasted.

Back
Top Bottom