Question about taste of eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BiggKountry, Sep 3, 2009.

1. BiggKountry

BiggKountry Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    Can adding ACV to the water influence the taste of the eggs a chickens lays?

I know it sounds stupid, but if eating certain things can influence the taste, what about the water.

2. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I don't think you would be adding THAT much ACV.. It would be diluted so much by the water..i

3. Zoomom

Zoomom Certified Cackleberry Consumer

Jan 22, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    I have only been putting a couple of tablespoons of ACV in the glass 1 gallon waterer upstairs, then they have a metal 3 gallon with no ACV to drink from downstairs...don't think they would drink it if it tasted bad and it goes down. I haven't tasted any vinegar-y eggs.

4. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I was told 1-2 Tbsp OACV to 1 gallon of water. I do this every day and I have never tasted vinegary eggs.

5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I thought that acv was a natural wormer

6. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    No. The items that do influence the taste of the egg it's because of the vitamins the chickens are getting from that food. It's not the actual food getting to the egg. All too much vinegar can do is impact calcium which will not impact taste. It has been debated if it could cause problems with them absorbing and using calcium for egg shells but at the doses most use there is no proof it does anything negative. If you add too much acv the chickens would probably stop drinking the water because of the taste long before they got an overdose.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by