Question about the chocolate gene

Keikuri

Chirping
Jun 1, 2019
Connecticut
I’ve been doing some reading and was hoping someone could clarify something for me. Last year i hatched out 3 Blue Runner x Blue Swedish mutts. One of the daughters is brown (her sister is mostly black with some brown and brother was blue but now looks like he was bronzed, all with the Swede pattern), a color i assumed came from her Swedish eggdonor. Well i just learned that the brown color comes from the drake.

I dont know if Blue Runners could carry a chocolate gene. So i guess my question is did she get her color from her dad or is it possible to come from the lady?

He also fathered some kids with his Blue Runner wife: 4 Blue, 2 Black, and 2 Silvers (only 2 were girls). If he’s carrying the brown gene would it show up in future Runner offspring?

Thanks!

(Pic of Runner daddy and the little Chocolate Menace herself)
92E7451C-E687-4971-87AA-3047FD568DC8.jpeg

My knowlage is limited but this is what i can decipher.

Chocolate is recessive AND sex linked, meaning its only carried on the W chromosome. 2 copies are required for drakes to be chocolate and one for hens. Since drakes are WW and hens WZ any hen that has a chocolate dad will get a W with chocolate gene. This makes the ducklings sexable by down color. Hens are brown.

So in your case you have two blue parents and a brown hen. The loci for the chocolate gene is not on the z chromosome so you know it came from the drake. Your drake has one copy of chocolate which is why he is blue and not lavender. If He was expressing blue and chocolate he would be lavender.

My knowlage is limited but this is what i can decipher.

Chocolate is recessive AND sex linked, meaning its only carried on the W chromosome. 2 copies are required for drakes to be chocolate and one for hens. Since drakes are WW and hens WZ any hen that has a chocolate dad will get a W with chocolate gene. This makes the ducklings sexable by down color. Hens are brown.

So in your case you have two blue parents and a brown hen. The loci for the chocolate gene is not on the z chromosome so you know it came from the drake. Your drake has one copy of chocolate which is why he is blue and not lavender. If He was expressing blue and chocolate he would be lavender.
Got it! Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom