Question about the difference between Barred Rocks and Dominiques

LukeandAli

Songster
8 Years
Nov 28, 2011
Carver, Oregon
We received three chickens a few months ago that we were told were dominiques. We've referred to them as "the barred rocks" this whole time because we don't know/can't tell the difference. Now we've hatched some chicks that are at least half dominique/barred rock and I'm really curious as to which breed they are.

Would anyone on here be so kind as to tell me the difference?

Is it easier to tell the difference with the chicks or the adults? The chicks I just hatched seem to have a little more of a reddish undertone to their dark areas that I remember my last barred rock chicks having.

Thanks in advance!

The Dominique head is more refined and has a rose comb while all of the Plymouth Rocks have single combs.
The tail of the Barred Plymouth Rock is considerably shorter than that of the Dominique. The Dominique's tail is long and flowing, similar to that of a Hamburg or Leghorn. The Dominique sickle feathers are wider as well as being longer.
The Barred Plymouth Rock is a heavier bird than the Dominique. It also has a deeper body and lower tail carriage. The Dominique is “more upright” than the Plymouth Rock. This upright carriage combined with the body shape gives a stately appearance to the Dominique.

The Dominique head is more refined and has a rose comb while all of the Plymouth Rocks have single combs.
The tail of the Barred Plymouth Rock is considerably shorter than that of the Dominique. The Dominique's tail is long and flowing, similar to that of a Hamburg or Leghorn. The Dominique sickle feathers are wider as well as being longer.
The Barred Plymouth Rock is a heavier bird than the Dominique. It also has a deeper body and lower tail carriage. The Dominique is “more upright” than the Plymouth Rock. This upright carriage combined with the body shape gives a stately appearance to the Dominique.
Thank you! That definitely makes me think that our rooster is a Dominique. His tail feathers are very impressive. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom