Question about the hatching rates of two varieties of shipped eggs

mississippifarmboy

collects slightly damaged strays
12 Years
Oct 22, 2008
Glen, Mississippi. 40+ chicken years
I just placed some shipped hatching eggs in the hatching tray and have a question for all of you with more experiance. This is my very first time to hatch shipped eggs. I have hatched our own eggs for many years, so not a novice at incubating, just a newbie at incubating shipped eggs.

I'm currently using a very early model 1200 Sportsman incubator with auto turners, etc.. All our own eggs are hatching fine as of this week. I hatch every friday.

I ordered two varieties of Orloffs from a seller. They arrived very timely, wrapped great, all eggs were shipped in the same box together. Good comunication with the seller before ordering and during shipping, even answered a couple extra emails concerning lines and strains after the eggs arrived. All the eggs were allowed to "rest" for a day and then placed in the same tray in the sportsman incubator. I candle our hatching eggs at around 10 - 11 days and again at lockdown on day 18.

Here's the thing; the first dozen (Shipped 15 total) at 10 days they all were devolping except one clear. Pitched it. At day 18 still had 12 looking good, two showed no further development, so pitched those. Have 12 in lockdown out of 15.

The second variety, ordered a dozen, shipped 13. At day 10 NONE had veins or any sign of being fertile. NONE!

My question is this. Should I contact the seller about this? I know from the thousands of post on here that "it" happens. It just seems to me that them all being shipped together, same box, same age, same treatment, etc, that there would have had to be at least a few start unless there was a fertility issue.

I don't want to whine, but they were very expensive eggs (to me anyway). What would you do?

Last edited:
I have had the same thing...and while yes I would tend to think something was up with fertility..there is just to much else...I have shipped eggs and had folks with great success and then ? Had eggs arrive totally perfect and then had almost every egg scrambled and shipped them exactly alike to the same person!

Well since they were shipped in the same box and would have been handled exactly the same way I'd say something is more than likely up with the one varieties' pen. This is the reason that I am constantly hatching when I'm shipping eggs......I want to know first hand how the fertility is.

I'd contact the seller because there may be a fertility issue he or she can deal with, such as tail-trimming. It's important to share this info, and the seller can decide whether he or she feels it's of concern and whether there's anything he can do. It's good to let them know.

Yes, it is a risk with shipped eggs.. But do let the seller know. None out of 13???? It is highly possible that they could be having a fertility issue that they would like to know about. I know I would want to know!!

If you think they were infertile, you should contact the seller. They may already be aware there is a problem if other buyers have complained. I don't think you could demand more eggs because you assume the responsibility of shipped eggs but they may just decide to do the "right thing" and send you some more. Happy customers keep coming back.

Good luck.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom