Question about TINY scale hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by luvmychicknkids, Mar 15, 2008.

1. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Alright, I am REALLY wanting to hatch an egg or two. Problem is, I seriously mean that, about 2 eggs is what I am looking at. Do those tiny little incubators that just hold a couple of eggs and are advertised for school projects, etc. work at all? I KNOW I don't want to go buy an expensive incubator and hatch a bunch. Not to mention, if I hatch any of my own eggs, they are probably going to be some seriously funny looking chicks. My rooster is a Golden Campine.....my hens range from Barred Rock, to White Leghorn, to EE, to.....you get the idea here. Not really sure what a cross between him and any of the girls would look like (though to us it would be gorgeous anyway). Sooooooo......anyone have any clue about these things? [​IMG]

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Those little bators are garbage, don't waste your time with one.

RCom has a small one that is supposed to be good, I've never used one though.

The problem with hatching only 2 eggs is that you don't know if they are fertile until you crack them open or until you incubate them for 7 days, so you might only get 1 to hatch or it might be 0, or you could be really lucky and both hatch.

The more eggs you incubate, the better the chances are of having at least 2 hatch.

Chickens are social animals and if you do have just 1 hatch it can be hard on the chick.

(am I sounding like an enabler yet?)

3. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* do a search for 'toaster oven'. There was a post in the last week bout using a toaster oven as an incubator. I'm not kidding either. The instructions are briefly given in the thread.

4. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    [​IMG] Toaster oven???? OMG I will just HAVE to check that out!!! I would feel like I was cooking them!!!

Yeah, I thought about the fact that I wouldn't know if 2 would hatch, which worried me, but if only one hatched I could always buy it a friend. I wouldn't be near as worried about wasting my time and neither egg hatching. The main reason I don't want to do many is I already have 8 chickens and am getting rescue hens soon. I want to be able to take as many of them as possible, so I am really trying to avoid the temptation to add any babies at all. However, my kids have special requests for what chickens they really just HAVE to have (so I am contemplating purchasing one of each of those) and I would really kind of like to have a couple of of "our own" babies.

I suppose I will have to give it a LOT more thought before I decide anything. [​IMG]

5. crazychicken

crazychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    Quote:Not necessarily I had a lone chick hatch and it grew up into the most sweetest, tamest, friendliest, hen I have ever owned. until she had a tragic accident and we lost her [​IMG]

6. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    LOL....I totally forgot about this thread! It has been almost a year ago and I have hatched........a few. LOL I have had two bators going at once, in fact. [​IMG] Oh how we change our minds on this site!!! [​IMG]

7. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:Not necessarily I had a lone chick hatch and it grew up into the most sweetest, tamest, friendliest, hen I have ever owned. until she had a tragic accident and we lost her [​IMG]

And I am very sorry about the loss of your little sweetie. [​IMG]

8. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I have heard of 2 people so far that have had something hatch from the little dome ones , so you could for 20 bucks try it but you would have to have it in perfectly temped room and watch it constently I would think becuase its so small how would it hold any heat.
    there is a fancy fancy little like 3 or 4 egg bator thats all high tech and advanced taht people say works like magic
    I have never tried ether.
    You could make a home made one and jsut to something small like miss prissy' bread box bator or I used the miss prissy instuctions but with a small disposible Ice chest. after putting the light and the thermastat and the little jar of water for the heat sink and a therm or two in there Id belucky to fit maybe 5-8 eggs in there.

Just noticed thisis like a year old .. I bet you are hatching already

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by