Question about TINY scale hatching

luvmychicknkids

Canning Squirrel
11 Years
Mar 6, 2008
Floresville, Texas
Alright, I am REALLY wanting to hatch an egg or two. Problem is, I seriously mean that, about 2 eggs is what I am looking at. Do those tiny little incubators that just hold a couple of eggs and are advertised for school projects, etc. work at all? I KNOW I don't want to go buy an expensive incubator and hatch a bunch. Not to mention, if I hatch any of my own eggs, they are probably going to be some seriously funny looking chicks. My rooster is a Golden Campine.....my hens range from Barred Rock, to White Leghorn, to EE, to.....you get the idea here. Not really sure what a cross between him and any of the girls would look like (though to us it would be gorgeous anyway). Sooooooo......anyone have any clue about these things?
hu.gif

Those little bators are garbage, don't waste your time with one.

RCom has a small one that is supposed to be good, I've never used one though.

The problem with hatching only 2 eggs is that you don't know if they are fertile until you crack them open or until you incubate them for 7 days, so you might only get 1 to hatch or it might be 0, or you could be really lucky and both hatch.

The more eggs you incubate, the better the chances are of having at least 2 hatch.

Chickens are social animals and if you do have just 1 hatch it can be hard on the chick.

(am I sounding like an enabler yet?)

* do a search for 'toaster oven'. There was a post in the last week bout using a toaster oven as an incubator. I'm not kidding either. The instructions are briefly given in the thread.

ep.gif
Toaster oven???? OMG I will just HAVE to check that out!!! I would feel like I was cooking them!!!

Yeah, I thought about the fact that I wouldn't know if 2 would hatch, which worried me, but if only one hatched I could always buy it a friend. I wouldn't be near as worried about wasting my time and neither egg hatching. The main reason I don't want to do many is I already have 8 chickens and am getting rescue hens soon. I want to be able to take as many of them as possible, so I am really trying to avoid the temptation to add any babies at all. However, my kids have special requests for what chickens they really just HAVE to have (so I am contemplating purchasing one of each of those) and I would really kind of like to have a couple of of "our own" babies.

I suppose I will have to give it a LOT more thought before I decide anything.
barnie.gif

Quote:
Not necessarily I had a lone chick hatch and it grew up into the most sweetest, tamest, friendliest, hen I have ever owned. until she had a tragic accident and we lost her
hit.gif

LOL....I totally forgot about this thread! It has been almost a year ago and I have hatched........a few. LOL I have had two bators going at once, in fact.
smile.png
Oh how we change our minds on this site!!!
gig.gif

Quote:
Not necessarily I had a lone chick hatch and it grew up into the most sweetest, tamest, friendliest, hen I have ever owned. until she had a tragic accident and we lost her
hit.gif

And I am very sorry about the loss of your little sweetie.
sad.png

I have heard of 2 people so far that have had something hatch from the little dome ones , so you could for 20 bucks try it but you would have to have it in perfectly temped room and watch it constently I would think becuase its so small how would it hold any heat.
there is a fancy fancy little like 3 or 4 egg bator thats all high tech and advanced taht people say works like magic
I have never tried ether.
You could make a home made one and jsut to something small like miss prissy' bread box bator or I used the miss prissy instuctions but with a small disposible Ice chest. after putting the light and the thermastat and the little jar of water for the heat sink and a therm or two in there Id belucky to fit maybe 5-8 eggs in there.

Just noticed thisis like a year old .. I bet you are hatching already

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom