Question about treating bumblefoot

Hi, I think I’m having a similar problem with one of my hen. Any idea what I can do help treat it?
Start a thread, post pictures, and describe the situation. You will get helped out, or you can use the search bar in the top right corner, type in bumblefoot and a lot of links will come up and you can scroll through those. That's what I did, totally up to you, either way well all be here to help ;)

Start a thread, post pictures, and describe the situation. You will get helped out, or you can use the search bar in the top right corner, type in bumblefoot and a lot of links will come up and you can scroll through those. That's what I did, totally up to you, either way well all be here to help ;)
Thanks! I did start a thread yesterday but I have not had many responses… I’ll try the others out thank you

My year and a half old red sex link hen has bumblefoot on one of her feet. We caught her limping about a week ago, so I immediately checked for bumblefoot. It's definitely not too serious right now. A tiny bit red and a little swollen. I wanted to treat with veterycin right away, but we found out the irritating way that it's hard to get in Canada. I ordered some off the internet, but I knew it would take about a week to get here and I wanted to start treating before then, just so it didn't worsen in the meantime. I soaked the foot in epsom salts and the plug came out nice and easy. Since then I've been bandaging it with gauze soaked in colloidal silver and a little tea trea oil. She's completely stopped limping since I started treating her. The bumblefoot itself doesn't look better or worse since I first soaked it. She also hasn't laid for about a week or two.

The veterycin finally got here, but now I'm confused about what to do. All the articles I read about treating bumblefoot say to remove the black plug then spray with veterycin, but I've already pulled out the plug, so what should be my treatment plan now?
Hello, glad to hear that your hen is doing well. I think one of my hens has a similar problem. Can you share how long you soaked the foot and how did you keep the bandage on the foot? How did you keep the hen calm? Did you end up using the veterycin? Thank you as I new to treating chicken issues and I don't want to see them suffer either way.

Hello, glad to hear that your hen is doing well. I think one of my hens has a similar problem. Can you share how long you soaked the foot and how did you keep the bandage on the foot? How did you keep the hen calm? Did you end up using the veterycin? Thank you as I new to treating chicken issues and I don't want to see them suffer either way.
I'm sorry to hear your chicken has bumblefoot. :( This treatment only worked on my hen because I caught the bumblefoot early and it wasn't a serious case yet.

I soaked my hen's foot for about 10 minutes. That was enough for me to take out the black plug without any fuss. While soaking it I just wrapped her in a towel, though not too tightly. She did struggle a bit at first but she calmed down pretty soon. I actually didn't end up using the veterycin. I'm guessing it would have healed faster if I had, but my natural remedies worked just fine. I mixed together some colloidal silver and a drop of tea tree oil and soaked that in a gauze, then put the gauze on the wound. I wrapped it up with some medical tape I had on hand. Vet wrap would be preferred, but I didn't have any. I changed the bandage once a day till the swelling and redness were gone, then I just bandaged it without the colloidal silver treatment to prevent further infection.

I hope this helps and your girl will be back to normal soon!

Thank you MikyPiky! Bought some self sticking medical tape and polysporin yesterday and already have epsom salts. Sounds like having something like veterycin around would be a good idea. I am also in Canada (Ontario) so will ask around. Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom