Question About Turkens from McMurray

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by DavidILoveYou22, Feb 20, 2013.

1. DavidILoveYou22

DavidILoveYou22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello. I'm not totally sure if this the correct forum to put this in, but it seemed to fit best.
    I am soon going to be getting a shipment of chicks from McMurray Hatchery, including two Turken hens. I noticed on their website it said that "We have purposely kept our Turken flocks mixed in color (including silver) for a more colorful and distinctive offspring."
    So I was wondering if anyone else here has gotten Turkens from McMurray, and what color their feathers were? It's not totally important, I was just curious what some other people's Turkens turned out looking like, so I can try to guess at what the ones I'm getting might end up colored like. Pictures would be awesome!

-David22

2. Vamvakas

Vamvakas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    North Branford, CT
    I got 3 from them last spring all were red, 2 roo 1 hen my dad killed 1 of the roo for meat and we might kill the other one for meat (sorry I don't wanna post pics of deceased or going to be deceased, it makes me feel bad. Here's 1 hen.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  3. DavidILoveYou22

Oh, she's beautifu! Well, as beautiful as Turkens can be... although they are, like Guinea Fowl, gorgeous in their own way. That's too bad the roo got killed for meat, I don't have a real problem with chickens being used for meat and even plan on getting some myself, but Turkens are just so adorable... I don't think I'm ever going to use one of them for meat unless I have to for some odd reason.
    Thank you for the pics!

4. erinchelsea

erinchelsea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Webster City, IA
    I have a Buff and a Black Turken I got in their Brown Egg Layer Assortment 2 years ago. The Buff is the friendliest hen I have. I just love them, they're so fun. [​IMG] I know you will love them!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  5. DavidILoveYou22

Ooh, a black Turken sounds so pretty. And I already love them even without having met one before, they're so unique and awesome looking!

6. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    The (huge) majority of hatchery turkens are buff or reddish with black tails. Blacks seem to be second most common. A few others have turned out buff mottled(beautiful I think)... a very few turn out white with black tails.

They are all wonderful birds. My first turken was from McMurray and was named.... McMurray(she was the only chick that got a name). I absolutely loved her and it's because of her my chicken flock is almost all turkens/naked necked. McMurray was a light buff with a black tail.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  7. DavidILoveYou22

Wow, those all sound so beautiful. Well, thank you all, now I can try to guess what color my two will be! I just can't wait for them to arrive... :)

8. Barbedwirecat

Barbedwirecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    I have some arriving in two weeks too, I went ahead and took the plunge to order 25 pullets. I love the ones I have now they have been the best layers and have the most wonderful personalities!

9. DavidILoveYou22

Wow! 25? I would probably order that many if I had the room to keep them, and if my mom would let me. As for their personality, I hope mine turn out to be nice, we seem to have the worst luck with birds when it comes to their additudes. We had a guinea rooster who would attack us viciously, which was supposedly "unheard of" and a Wyandotte hen who did the same. Not a rooster, but a hen! She sure acted like a roo though, that's why her name was David (We didn't learn she was a she until it was too late).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by