1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about types of wire...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Three Cedars Silkies, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    We are rebuilding and relocating our pens and I have a question for those of you who have used the thick green plastic "chicken wire".

It seems so thick and I don't think a small predator could pull it apart. It has a break point of around 350 pounds per sq foot.

Have any of you used it...are you happy with it??

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Never used it, but coons will chew. They are extremely determined. Be careful......Pop

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Yep! Coons, possoms, and whatever else wants to get to your chickens will just chew right on through the plastic stuff. It wouldn't be worth the risk, IMO. Pulling the stuff apart isn't half the problem as the chewing is. [​IMG]

4. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I put some up we dont have much of a predator problem, but my Jack Russel Terrorist walked up to it, stuck her little sweet nose through a hole, and bit though it in one snap. If you have coons they will go through deffinately. We have not suffered any losses due to it but, the new pen I am building will have wire.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by