Question about using sand for the floor of the run

What are the benefits of sand? (other than that it reduces mud). I was going to just leave my run floor natural, but now you have me wanting to know more about sand.

Also, what is the benefit of DE? I've been meaning to ask that one for a while now.

You can buy sand by the truck load or ton alot cheaper! Sand with a mix of stones is the way to go in the run to stop all the mud. We just had a teenager dig 16" down in our run and barn this past week. We are putting lime down first, then gravel, then sand mixed with small stones. This is the first time we have done this in three years.

Use coarse or concrete sand. I wouldn't use a sand that turns fingers yellow because it could bother the birds, but you said it was a fine sand, which isn't desirable anyway.

DE (food grade) keeps things drier and smelling better. Plus, it also helps in the control of parasites and insects, like fleas and flies.

I am planning my first coop and I was just going to let my 2 hens run around my lawn...do i need sand? can 2 hens or 3 make so much poop? ive seen some pictures with chicken runs on grass but how do they clean it up?

Quote:
This may vary from location to location, but what I discovered is that the brand marked "All Purpose Sand" that my local Home Depot offered was just as fine as play sand, while the "All Purpose Sand" sold at my local Lowe's was just the right coarseness. Go figure.

Quote:
Clean it up? hahahahahaha, Mother Nature takes care of it with only a little help like adding compostable material. Only if you have too many birds in too small an area will you get that ammonia smell and fermentation. That's why so many people are fond of the Deep litter method in the coop and free range or a large run. I'm all the time adding my riding lawnmower clippings to the run and only clean out the coop in the spring when I want fertilizer for my garden. My coop will have a nice earthly smell from the deep litter, I have been visiting other coops where my eyes will water from the stench.

Here where I live the dirt is mostly clay and yes this winter was like slip and slide I could not go out to the chicken pen to much of a chance of fall which is really bad for me. so my DS took care of chickens and did fall a few times we added straw to try and help keep the run dryer well this last spring we tilled the dirt up about 12 inches deep for the whole run took that dirt out put it in the raised garden area. added some sand, (need another ton) it has really helped at least the coop drains now. I can't wait until I can get about 6 inches of sand for easy cleaning and thanks for the idea of throwing out the bird seed for them to scratch around I also bought a ton of top soil to put in the garden and now my garden is growing like crazy so it was a win-win thing where do you find food grade DE and can you put that in the coop even if you use straw in the coop sand won't work in my coop thanks for any help...

Just built a new run onto the coop that is covered for winter, when the hens probably won't want to be out in the feet-deep snow! We put down 1" hardware cloth under the run and then put down a few inches of all purpose sand from Home Depot. So far, so good- the ladies like to scratch around and I think the poo will be easier to clean or will just break down. I just ordered some DE online and plan on sprinkling some down in the run and in the coop. I will also be switching from hay to pine bedding for winter for warmth and dry-ness. Those little hens get steamy in the coop- even with good ventilation. I live at high altitude and we have pretty big temperature swings from daytime to nighttime.

DE- food grade (not pool grade) is used for many things: this website has some good info and you can get it for cheap on amazon!

http://www.ghorganics.com/DiatomaceousEarth.html

Back
Top Bottom