Question about vaccinations/eating eggs

Liselle

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 28, 2014
As many of you know, I have a hen of unknown origin that I've raised from a yellow chick.

She is now laying eggs (one of them was a double yolk, YAY!) and my BF had a question about eating the eggs. Are we supposed to vaccinate her, and if she's not vaccinated, will that make the eggs unsafe to eat? I hope not, since I've already eaten a couple of them! :)

I honestly didn't think about it. She's in indoor chicken, and has had only a little exposure to the outdoors. She's eating Tractor Supply's Layer Pellets (link below) and loves them, but I'm not sure if she really needs to be on something more.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/dumorreg;-layer-pellets-16%-10-lb?cm_vc=-10005

Thanks y'all, for letting the newbie ask all the questions, and for your patience in answering! :)

I don't think vaccines are necessary, its a personal choice none of my birds are vaccinated and we eat the eggs and the time. You may want to give her oyster shell for calcium and grit, other wise I think layer pellets are enough.

People were safely eating chicken eggs for thousands of years before vaccines were invented. It’s not an issue.

What specific vaccine are you thinking about? That might help narrow it down just a bit. Personally I don't vaccinate fro anything.

I didn't have any vaccines in mind, since I know next to virtually nothing about keeping/raising livestock. :)

Thank you all for your input!! It is greatly appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom