question about washing eggs ????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MrsSmitho, Nov 12, 2008.

1. MrsSmitho

MrsSmitho Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    E. Tx.
    Howdy!

New egg receiver here [​IMG]

So, is it ok to wash the eggs with warm water, dish soap, & washrag???

Or do I need to purchase the "egg wash" stuff??

Thanks in advance !!!!!

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I don't think you want to use soap, because it could seep into the egg through the pores. You really don't need to wash them at all; in fact, most folks do not wash, because when laid, they have a thin film on them called "bloom." The bloom seals the pores so contaminants cannot get in. If they are VERY dirty, I do use a warm wet washrag, but no soap; or, I'll just run them under water and wipe off. You want to make SURE the water is warmer than the egg is at the time of rinsing; if the water is colder, the pores will absorb more, and possibly absorb the bacterian in the poo or dirt that was left on them.

:eek:)

3. If you plan on incubating your eggs, do not wash them. I have only heard one person that has had a decent hatch rate when they used batidine in low concentration in water for a few seconds. The eggs you wash will loose the oil on the shell. Give it a try on a few and you will see. This oil is very important for air exchange through the egg's shell for the growing chicks. Always store your eggs with the pointed side DOWN and do not refigerate them. Keep the humity at a least 60 percent during the incubation process. This can and will fall and rise during conditions of the environment. The best incubator is a nice broody bantan hen, but you are hardly ever there when the chick hatches and too many die if you have a hatch of prized species.

4. tackyrama

tackyrama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Central Minnesota USA
    Some people use a fine sandpaper to spruce up eggs appearance or one on those green scrubbers from 3M, dry of course. Washing eggs will have an affect on hatching rate.

5. MrsSmitho

MrsSmitho Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    E. Tx.
    Cool! Good info - Thank you!!

We aren't incubating...yet. I believe we are going to try the old fashioned way next spring (when the Barred rocks are laying)...

But for now, well, when they get a few more and a little larger [​IMG]...we are going to be selling them.

For our household, I am not worried about it...but for consumers who freak on the e-coli thought...well...hehehehe, I just want to be able to tell them it is clean.

Thanks again, I have only received 4 eggs so far, and they were washed in soapy water...and will be consumed this evening in a little "celibration" egg scramble [​IMG]...but from now on, I will only use water;)

6. havingfun

havingfun Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2008
    Skowhegan Maine
    I had the same question thanks for asking it for me. I have only 4 eggs as well and was so excited to find them. The first two I found were dirty but the next two were very clean. I'm new to this whole thing and I'm having a blast.[​IMG][​IMG]

7. mama3chix

mama3chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    [​IMG] Havingfun !!!! this is a GREAT forum with lods of info [​IMG]

8. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    Eggs should be washed in warm water immediately upon collection. Soap should be used if the eggs are dirty, since chicken feces carry e coli and other bacteria. Do not soak eggs. See this link for more info:

http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/poultry/factsheets/9.html

Remember that chicken eggs come out of the same orifice as chicken poop.

9. leasmom

leasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    I wash mine whether they appear clean or not because I want to get rid of the bacteria and then I coat them with olive oil and they are ready to use.

10. Elizabeth Ann

Elizabeth Ann Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2008
    Wayland, MI
    I wash my eggs with warm water and a little dishsoap then dry them off and have never noticed a "soapy flavor." I'm also new to this egg business as well but with 3 small children I worry about the bacteria so I would rather be safe than sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by