Question about when hens first start laying...

justuschickens

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 20, 2008
Des Moines
Hi, My four little hens just started laying eggs and they don't do it every day. Is this normal at first? We have four hens and we find one or two each day for the last week since they began laying. I guess I am nervous I might have a rooster in the bunch but no one is crowing. One does have a big red comb on her head/the other three have pea combs and she is larger and more aggressive although all are fairly tame...she seems more territorial than the others.
This is our first venture with chickens, we raised these girls from day old chicks. They are Americana and the eggs are a beautiful sage green and blue colors so far.
Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sheri

EEs aren't known for laying everyday.

If you are getting 1 or 2 a day with four hens, that should be about the norm until they molt.

Congratulations. You'll love it and soon will want more. That's just the way it is.

I can't wait to cull a few (put in the freezer) just so I can get some more!

Our little flock of 9 that we got as day-old chicks in May has just begun laying - one of the BRs has laid a small egg every day since Nov 1. A BO started yesterday and we were rewarded today with her second, and a BA started today (I know who laid them because I caught them in the act). I've been very surprised that the BR has laid every day - and her 7th egg was a double yolker. (They are 25 weeks old). I am surprised because I thought she would skip a day here and there since the days are shorter and because she's a new layer. I'm not using supplemental light either. Just my experience ... though I think yours is normal for new layers.

It's very normal for a new layer's schedule to be erratic at first. Also normal in new layers is odd shapes and weird colorations.
Post some pics of your suspected roo when you can. I'm sure someone will help you to know for sure.

Welcome to BYC, Sheri!!

It probably varies quite a bit with the individual birds. I understand that poultry scientists believe that up to 40% of a pullet's 1st eggs are reabsorbed instead of entering the oviduct.

They will soon self-correct but over the first couple of weeks, the pullets are really tend to be hit and miss.

I thought all Ameraucanas had pea combs but regarding pullets-or-not: By this age, you shouldn't have to wonder about the presence of a rooster. He would have made himself known. Without the roo, one of the pullets will be #1 and boss.

Steve

Thank you all so much for your responses. I will try and get pictures on soon. I have pictures, I just don't know how to post them yet.
As for the pea combs, yes I thought they were all supposed to have pea combs too but one of mine doesn't so...what are ya gonna do. I'm sure someone will tell me they are not true ameracauna but muts as someone on another site said to someone else but who cares, they are my girls and I love them. It has been so wonderful watching them grow up and now to have the joy of finding eggs each day...well it's just awsome! They did come ordered from a feed store so their blood lines and breed could be somewhat suspect I suppose but they told me they would be ameracuana and they eggs are a beautiful sage green and some are blue. That comb did throw me though but she is lovely and I don't care as long as she is a she and doesn't crow we are good.
big_smile.png

Sheri

Back
Top Bottom