Question About Wind Break For Winter

You have me thinking about the hedge whip weaving idea...! I was only thinking I would like them to be able to see out and not block any sun... but you got me thinking
If you were to aim for a three foot tall hedge blocking out sunlight shouldn't be a problem. The chickens will still be able to see through the hedge unless you weave a very dense hedge.

I was thinking I'd put the wind break all the way around, to include the coop.

The run uprights are 6ft and the peak of the metal roof adds a little more than 3ft.

Unfortunately I don't have a picture from the side in its finished state, but hopefully these pictures can give a better idea of the dimensions.

As far as how the winds blow here I don't know yet. This is our first winter here. We have gotten 45mph gusts over the summer though..

What a great set up!!

I like the ideas others are giving. I really like a permanent solution like the hedge.

With a solid roof the 3' lower section being tarped should work very well.

What a great set up!!

I like the ideas others are giving. I really like a permanent solution like the hedge.

With a solid roof the 3' lower section being tarped should work very well.
Thank you 😊.
I knew coming here to ask was going to be fruitful!
Tomorrow I'll start modifications on the tarps..
Hopefully, I can get that done in a day...🤞
Install them...
And start researching hedges for the spring after that!
These chickens sure keep me busy 😁

We have wind year round, so leave the run wrapped. We added snow fence on top of the reinforced plastic. The snow fence helps control the flapping and "sail" aspect. May not be the best looking, but it functions well.

Attachments

• Run roof.jpg
    Run roof.jpg
    912.2 KB · Views: 13
I spent a few days sick, so I had not finished when I said I would. But here is my winter setup:

The open back-end still needs to have a lattice put in place. It will block the worst of the wind and snow, but still allow them light and peepholes. 😂👀

Attachments

• IMG_20231105_114119.jpg
    IMG_20231105_114119.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20231105_114224.jpg
    IMG_20231105_114224.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20231105_114213.jpg
    IMG_20231105_114213.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20231105_114155.jpg
    IMG_20231105_114155.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20231105_114133.jpg
    IMG_20231105_114133.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
I spent a few days sick, so I had not finished when I said I would. But here is my winter setup:

The open back-end still needs to have a lattice put in place. It will block the worst of the wind and snow, but still allow them light and peepholes. 😂👀
I learned last year not to block all of the wind. They enjoy the breeze on nice days, and they have enough coverage to get away from the cold when they need to. The most important part, I have found, is to block the northerly wind, and most of the easterly (ocean) wind.

Oh I see what you're saying. Makes total sense. Thanks for following up.

I hope you're feeling better! I haven't finished what I planned either...you know, life happens...😁

Oh I see what you're saying. Makes total sense. Thanks for following up.

I hope you're feeling better! I haven't finished what I planned either...you know, life happens...😁
It took me a while to find the thread again to make the post. 😅

I am. Thank you! 🤗❤️

Yeah, I knew I needed the majority of the setup done today because I return to work tomorrow, and my next days off are going to be raining/snowing. 😬 I will place the lattice and hook up their heated bowl tomorrow afternoon when I get out. 😊

Do they get enough sun in this way? Was this a carport tarp that you cut windows into? I put a tarp over my similar run, then lined the sides with plastic, but I didn't reach all the way to the bottom 😩 now I'm wondering how big of an issue this is? You can see on the left, where the cinder blocks are, the plastic didn't go all the way down,
IMG_6309.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom