Question About Wind Break For Winter

1dermaker1

Songster
Feb 2, 2023
Kearneysville, WV
Hi Everyone! I was looking for any thoughts on my plan for a wind break to winterize our run.

Currently. I have a 34 ft x 10 ft run. 10 ft of the 34ft is under the 10'x10' coop.

I plan on putting a heavy-duty clear-ish (w/white fiber reinforcement) tarp all the way around the perimeter of the run with screws and fender washers.

This tarp is going to be 3 ft tall x 12 ft long. (Currently they (4) are 6ft x 12ft, I'll be cutting them in half longways, sewing a hem, then adding new grommets to the hemmed side)

So do you think this will give enough of a wind break for my flock, or will having it open at the top cause more turbulent winds in the run?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. It got too late to take a picture of the structure, I'll add tomorrow...

The problem with using a tarpaulin as a wind break is it also acts as a sail and if whatever that supports the tarpaulin isn't very well built the wind pressure in say a gale force wind may just blow the entire structure down.:eek:
Domes work better in high winds and then wind breaks at an angle allowing the wind to push up and over rather than presenting a flat face at ninety degrees to the ground.
How strong a wind are you expecting with gusts?
If you are just trying to protect chickens at ground level while they're in a run a hedge is hard to beat. Yup, it may take a while to grow, or you can speed up the process by using hedging whips which you can weave to create a permenant wind break.

The problem with using a tarpaulin as a wind break is it also acts as a sail and if whatever that supports the tarpaulin isn't very well built the wind pressure in say a gale force wind may just blow the entire structure down.:eek:
Domes work better in high winds and then wind breaks at an angle allowing the wind to push up and over rather than presenting a flat face at ninety degrees to the ground.
If you are just trying to protect chickens at ground level while they're in a run a hedge is hard to beat. Yup, it may take a while to grow, or you can speed up the process by using hedging whips which you can weave to create a permenant wind break.
I very much like the hedge idea. I, myself, use tarps, but we do not get strong enough winds to lift the run (the run is partially buried and weighs a lot all on its own).

So do you think this will give enough of a wind break for my flock, or will having it open at the top cause more turbulent winds in the run?
If the tarp can withstand the winds, 3 feet high should be enough. Yes, there could be some weird gusts that blow around, but the wind down at chicken level should be pretty light, if there's any at all. You still want ventilation and air movement to keep the air fresh in the run.

Is there a roof over the run? If so, you don't want to enclose everything, as a sunny day might make it warmer than you'd think in there.

If the chickens think it's too cold, they'll hang out in the coop.

So you are needing to protect 24'x10' if I read that right.

How tall is the run?
Does it have a solid roof?
Do your winter winds tend to come from one direction?
I was thinking I'd put the wind break all the way around, to include the coop.

The run uprights are 6ft and the peak of the metal roof adds a little more than 3ft.

Unfortunately I don't have a picture from the side in its finished state, but hopefully these pictures can give a better idea of the dimensions.

As far as how the winds blow here I don't know yet. This is our first winter here. We have gotten 45mph gusts over the summer though..

Attachments

• 20231020_162009.jpg
    20231020_162009.jpg
    597.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230901_160625.jpg
    20230901_160625.jpg
    539.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230709_185839.jpg
    20230709_185839.jpg
    699.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230530_192740.jpg
    20230530_192740.jpg
    653.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230529_192303.jpg
    20230529_192303.jpg
    598.6 KB · Views: 13
You have me thinking about the hedge whip weaving idea...! I was only thinking I would like them to be able to see out and not block any sun... but you got me thinking

I like the hedge idea also, but don't see being able to get it done before winter, I will definitely be adding some this spring!
Oh yeah. There is not nearly enough time for it now. 😅 But my chickens tend to do real well with the tarp. I wrap mine around the lower 2/2.5 feet of the run, and all over the top. I leave them large, long "windows" so that air can still move through the run but so that it does not blow directly on them while they are meandering, and so that they can still see out. I do not have a picture of the bit that I have done so far, but I can get one in the morning. I am set to finish putting it together on Friday. 😊

Back
Top Bottom