Question about Winter coops?

We had a mild winter last year (didn't get below zero--I knw because I watched my outside thermostat obsessively) but the only times I didn't open the coop to let my birds out was when I integrated the girls with the boys (four days they were all shut in together) and when we had bad snow storms. Otherwise I opened the door every day. They may not have ventured out into the snow (What is all this white stuff--will we die if we go out into it? one asked. "I don't know, the other birds (geese and ducks) don't seem to mind it, but their weird."--it was hilarious to watch them come bounding to the door when I opened it, then stop int heir tracks and refuse to come out.)

This year I'm going to try shoveling at least part of the run when it snows so it clears up faster because they would only come out when there was only a tiny bit of snow on the ground, or they would wander around the edge of the coop where the snow was gone, then go back in. If the day is expected to be under ten degrees (like I said, last year was unusually mild) I might keep the door shut--it depends on whether we can get the pop door set up or not.

Hi,
Do chickens still breed in the winter?
Will they try to go broody and hatch in the winter?

Just wondered if we could mix ours in a big pen for the wonter, then break them up again in the spring for breeding fertile eggs?

Thanks,
Angela

Back
Top Bottom